RNR AZ 2015 ReCap

20 Jan

We arrived in Phoenix on Thursday. We spent many hours at the zoo on Friday walking around. We went to La Grande Orange for lunch. We headed to the expo for a quick bib pick up.
Image 1-20-15 at 11.25 AM
IMG_3453
You may or may not have noticed but RNR is personalizing bibs this year. We had already signed up for the race when we got an email saying we could personalize them. Dan could have given a care less. I was trying to decide what I wanted on mine. BUT I decided for US!! I put LesLovesDan on mine and DanLovesLes on his. I didn’t tell him and it took him a few minutes to notice. He wasn’t exactly excited!! I said no one even notices anyway!!! (I thought it was clever) 🙂

We also signed up for next years race! Maybe we will be living there by then. (wink wink)

Saturday: Shake out run in shorts and t-shirts. Hello Phoenix in January!!!
IMG_3459

Sunday: First race of the year. (spoiler: It was a goodie). Rock N Roll Arizona. This was my 3rd time doing the half. My course PR was a 2:12(2008). They did change the course in 2012 so I have not done the “new” one yet. They switched the half and full courses in the opposite direction. So I had seen some of it and it was also on the IMAZ bike course. Things looked familiar.

Goals: To have fun. I didn’t really want to worry about time. I just wanted to gauge what I could do at this distance with a little bit of a taper.
Image 1-20-15 at 7.34 PM
The Loose plan was to start with Dan and Abbey. We saw Kat (randomly) at the start. It was very loose cause Dan and Kat went off as soon as the gun went off. Abbey and I stayed together until about mile 1.25. I was on my own. I did not have headphones either. Well shit I was just going to have to do this on my own.

The miles clicked by. They had some good bands and DJs on course. I watched other people and listened to other conversations. I tried to notice brands of shirts people were wearing.

I would say the first 5(ish) miles were flat.

Miles 5-8.5 were a light incline not awful but a little bit noticeable. My breathing was comfortably hard. I could feel the burn but I still thought I was ok at the slightly faster pace.

There was an out and back from about 8.6 to 9.8. It was a hill for sure. I felt pretty good but was wishing I had spent a little bit of time doing some hill work. (I know for next year)

At the top of the hill there was a really awesome view of the city. I really wanted to take a picture but it was in a baggie in my shorts and I thought it would take too long so I for-went the photo!!

{just pretend there is a cool view of the valley HERE}

At the 15K mark I was at 1:32:xx(this was the last time I looked at my watch) and I thought I could probably do a 2:10-2:12.  Once we made that turn off in Papago Park it was mainly downhill with a few little ups.  I was still feeling good.  My breathing was still comfortably hard.  It was getting warm and I was happy I was not doing the marathon!

I was mentally in it.  I was happy to be running.  I was totally in it mile after mile.  All of a sudden I was going over the Mill Street bridge (which again I had been over multiple times in the past) and thought just keep pushing you are almost done. I had sped up and it was hard. I was pumped I was almost done. I just kept pushing through to the finish line. I was in shock when I looked at my watch and it read 2:07:34!!! What?! What?!  I was just over my PR. I could not believe it!!! Seconds after I went over the finish line the winner of the marathon was finishing!!  What a day!

Of course I always wonder what if?! What if I had music? Could I have possibly PR’d?!  I don’t think that I could have pushed it any harder than I did. I feel like I paced it just about perfectly.  The splits showed a progressive run in terms of pace and definitely a negative split. I was happy with my performance and super happy with my time!!  I definitely think that I am capable of a PR at RNR PDX which is where my PR is now.  I am excited to work hard for the next 4-5 months to see if I can PR my open 1/2 and my 1/2 marathon within my 70.3 tri!

IMG_3468IMG_3471

I met up with Dan and Abbey.  Then met up with some other friends!! We hung out and watched the Wallflowers play for a while.  The sun was amazing. We soaked up as much as we could before going to brunch and watching football!!

Dan had me on a strict(I use the word very loosely) 🙂 no dessert regimen for the last couple of weeks so I was pumped for some ice cream.  I had a big big problem with picking which place.  Abbey gave me 2 options:  Sweet Republic and Churn. There was no way I could pick just one.
Image 1-20-15 at 8.44 PM
I got the toffee caramel sundae with almond butter crunch ice cream at Sweet Republic. I got a mint chocolate chip cookie sandwich with mint & cookies ice cream from Churn. Both were amazing and well worth every calorie!!!

We had an amazing time in Arizona. My 6th RNRAZ in the books. Can’t wait for next year!!!
IMG_3476

24 Responses to “RNR AZ 2015 ReCap”

1. Heather January 21, 2015 at 4:47 AM #

Umm I LOVE your “names” and would totally do the same thing, ha! Beautiful picture of the valley 😉 Awesome race! Great way to start the racing year. Now I want ice cream. It’s only 7:45 AM here… there’s calcium in ice cream, totally a breakfast food!

2. Kecia January 21, 2015 at 4:48 AM #

Awesome work lady!! I have done the RNR AZ full only once…it was a 100+F temperature swing and I thought I was going to die on race day 😉 I can’t wait to see how this strong start to 2015 translates to the rest of your season!!

3. Lee January 21, 2015 at 7:21 AM #

This was a great start to your 2015! Way to go! Enjoying the race and feeling good are such bonuses to being happy with your time. Good job Leslie!

4. Sherrie January 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM #

Those bibs are great!!

5. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides January 21, 2015 at 7:51 AM #

Congrats on a great race! And, gah!, to be so close to a PR. It just means you’ll have something to look forward to this year.

6. Laurie Weinsoft January 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM #

I have two things to say. One I love the names on your bibs because it is true. And two never give up a food you love. Not even for Dan. I hate being to,d I cannot have something. Makes me want it so much more

7. Kim Fox @ Swimmykimy January 21, 2015 at 3:53 PM #

Congrats on a great race!!! I am now officially totally jealous and really want to do this next year 🙂 That is so exciting that you might move to AZ! My brother lives in Scottsdale and loves it. It’s a bit of an adjustment from living in Boston, but the weather is great and there is a nice work-life balance. Congrats again and maybe we can run together next year!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM #

Thanks!! Yes! You should absolutely do it next year!! It is such a fun race!! It is a great time to be in AZ especially coming from Boston!! 🙂 My boyfriend is considering ASU for grad school. I would love to move there for a couple of years but we will see!! 🙂

8. Lisa @ Lisa Runs for Cupcakes January 22, 2015 at 5:54 AM #

You are so going to PR soon! You are rockin your races lately my friend!! PS. You look so fantastic and your smile seems even brighter these days. I didn’t think that was possible!

9. bayrunnerjamie January 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM #

I love La Grande Orange, I used to go there all of the time!! Congrats on the amazing finish time, you will so PR this year!! I’m kinda sad I missed this race…maybe next year though. Glad you had such a great experience!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM #

I love LGO too!!!! One of my must go to’s while in Phoenix!!! Thanks!! I think that this year will be great!!!

10. Single-Tracked Mind January 22, 2015 at 1:08 PM #

Congrats on the PR! And you and Dan are so cute. 😉

11. Kristen January 23, 2015 at 9:56 AM #

Such a cute idea for bib names and what an awesome race. I need to get down to AZ during the winter –> THAT SUNSHINE!!! Love that you guys treated yourselves to some yumminess after the run. Well deserved. Great smiles and all around fun!

12. erin January 23, 2015 at 6:28 PM #

What a season opener! Well done, Leslie! The start of a stellar year, for sure 🙂 And, Phoenix… is that on your radar to call home?! I love that place… certainly cannot beat the weather!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 23, 2015 at 9:30 PM #

Thanks!!! Yes!! Dan is thinking about going to ASU for grad school. I would love to make Phoenix home for a couple of years!! 🙂