How this January is Different!

28 Jan

Every January like clock work I start tri training. I have always had Wildflower I was worried about or an Ironman. This year I wanted to focus a little more on running in the early months. With a sprinkle of swimming and biking speed(ish) work mixed in.

The real reason for this post is the biking. The Portland Tri Club teamed up with C-Velo Cycling. We were going to get a cheap 12 week pass. The problem is the class is at noon on Saturdays. (We did learn that we could make up classes during the week if we had to miss a Saturday) I like having my work out done early so I can get on with my day. Dan really wanted to do the class so I thought what the hell it is winter and I don’t have a lot going on anyway. It is a power based work out and I really wanted to work on my power this year.

Now cycling is my strength (obviously) and running is my weakness (obviously) but you have to have great cycling fitness to be able to run in triathlon. Right?!

I have decided to really just work on my power for January/February. March will begin my 16 week build toward Victoria 70.3.

Back to C-Velo. Our first class was a time trial. agh! But it had to be done! It was pretty much textbook. We did a warm up, some speed up drills, and a 5 minute hard effort. We had a nice recovery and then it was on. 20 minute time trial. Now I have done TT’s before so I knew what I was getting myself into. For most of the class, this was their first TT. (little did they know) πŸ™‚

I was happy with my 195 watts since I had not been working on cycling at all!! After that first class, Rick, instructor & owner extraordinaire makes cards to put on the bikes for every class. So we know exactly what wattage we should be pushing during the intervals!
IMG_3292

Some classes focus on climbing, some sprinting, a lot of threshold and above threshold work. We did some long intervals last week that were zone 4, zone 2, and back to zone 4. 7 minutes each interval. We did 5! Holy legs. He told us the first one would be “easy” not really but compared to the last one it was!! Today we worked on long descending intervals with high high cadence at threshold. We thought Saturday’s class was hard! But this is all good stuff!!

This is my nice little set up. I have learned that I need 2 bottles. One with Nuun and one with water.
IMG_3268

We will do another TT at the end of the 12 weeks. I am looking forward to seeing what progress I have made! In addition to those classes I do a trainer ride at home and a spin class at the gym.

Running has been really great so far this year too. My foot seems to be cooperating. I have been working on strengthening my glutes and still hoping for the best on that front. I have Rangar Del Sol Ultra in 4 weeks. I have been running to the gym doing my strength work out and running home 2x a week. I have counted those as doubles. I have a couple back to back runs scheduled in the next couple of weeks to put my finishing touches on that training!

I am pumped for the medal this year!! They just revealed them!!
Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 9.12.15 PM

They have also started something new this year. The more Ragnar’s you run the more bling you get.
Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 9.02.32 PM
There are connector pieces to go in-between the medals. For every 2 you do there is another connector. It is super gimmicky but just like RNR races people do them for their medals. I think it is a great idea and maybe I will do a second one so I can get the double vision. (wink wink)

So needless to say I am not working off a plan. It has been nice not having structure. Even though I do kind of. I am definitely in my on-season I would say just not super structured as January “should” be. I am working hard and loving it. I am super excited for the year and what I can/will accomplish!

Also another fun tidbit I found today is: Lauren Fleshman is doing a workout of the week(WOW) over at Strava. I am going to do the power station tomorrow. I haven’t been working hills yet so this should be a good work out to start with!!

How is your January training going? Any early triathlons?

26 Responses to “How this January is Different!”

1. katielookingforward January 29, 2015 at 5:28 AM #

The local Y does some indoor tris, so I’ll be doing those. But I try to not start training until March-ish. It allows my body to relax and warm up to the season a little better.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM #

Awesome!! I have never done an indoor tri but I am sure a great work-out and practice for upcoming tris!! πŸ™‚

2. Kecia January 29, 2015 at 7:01 AM #

WOW…195 Watts is impressive Leslie!! I keep hoping to get there someday πŸ˜‰

I am looking at doing an indoor triathlon in late February, but my first outdoor tri won’t be until June 7.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 29, 2015 at 7:23 PM #

Thanks!!! I was surprised that I could pull that off!! Pressure is on to improve!!! πŸ™‚
      Are you doing Kansas 70.3?

• Kecia January 30, 2015 at 4:56 AM #

Since Ironman didn’t renew their contact in Kansas this year, there are other distance options, so I’m doing the 100 mile distance πŸ˜ƒ

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM #

What?? tell me more…longer bike? or run? or both?!

• Kecia January 30, 2015 at 9:19 AM #

2 mile swim, 80 mile bike and 18 mile run πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 31, 2015 at 10:21 AM #

Interesting!! That is going to be great prep for Boulder!!!

• Kecia January 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM #

You should come do one of the races too!! There are sprint, Olympic and 70.3 distances as well πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 31, 2015 at 10:24 AM #

Oh tempting but Victoria is June 14th!! 😦

• Kecia January 31, 2015 at 10:26 AM #

Maybe next year πŸ˜‰

3. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com January 29, 2015 at 7:18 AM #

Sounds like you have a perfect “plan” to base train! Having a loose plan is great because then you don’t feel overwhelmed with “training” before you even really begin to train! I’d totally do more Ragnars for the cool medals! That was smart of them, haha.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 29, 2015 at 7:22 PM #

It really has been nice training this way. Sometimes it is hard cause I am like what should I do today? Did you end up deciding if you are going to the the Keys again or not?

4. Lee@tri*inspired*life January 29, 2015 at 9:27 AM #

I am using an unstructured plan at the moment. Nothing specific, other than what is in my head:) I am going to try to nail down a 70.3 plan this weekend to start next week for the May 31 race.

Great work on the bike, BTW! Can’t wait to see what you can pull in 12 weeks!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 29, 2015 at 7:21 PM #

Don’t you love not being on a plan?! I mean i think that is is good and bad!! What is your May 31st race??

• Lee@tri*inspired*life February 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM #

I totally agree…both good and bad about not being on a plan. The structure starts today though:) My May 31 race is Raleigh 70.3. I decided several months ago that I wanted to race it, but just officially hit the registration button on Saturday, so here we go!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM #

OHHHH Yes!! I forgot that you were doing Raleigh!! Nice!! 4 months is about perfect to train for a half! Looking forward to hearing about it!!!

5. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete January 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM #

That class sounds awesome!! I really need to make time to get to the spin class here that uses power. 195 is super impressive as your baseline. I’m sure you’ll see huge gains through the 12 weeks and maybe even more so than if you had a normal “schedule” of training : ) That Ragnar bling is pretty cool. Haha now I’m ready to find one to do!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM #

The class really is great! It is super motivating too!! Have you done a relay before? They are really fun!!

6. bayrunnerjamie January 30, 2015 at 1:46 AM #

Good for you for running to and from the gym! I always say that I am going to do that and then I end up driving πŸ˜€ Excited to hear about your tri-excursions this year, I’m always blown away by the amount of training and discipline it takes to do what you do!

7. Single-Tracked Mind January 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM #

I love having some unstructured workouts without training plans! It’s nice to focus on what you think you should instead of what you feel like you have to. That cycling class sounds really informative!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 31, 2015 at 10:20 AM #

I think a lot of people like to train on the sport that is their favorite but I always like to work on my running in my “off-season” because it is my weakness. I know I can easily maintain my swimming and cycling abilities!! πŸ™‚

8. erin February 1, 2015 at 2:31 PM #

Great job on your TT! Sounds like a fun class. You will no doubt improve over the course of it… will be fun to compare!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 1, 2015 at 8:47 PM #

Thanks!! Definitely fun and just motivating to be with other people!! The only reason I like TTs are so I can compare!! πŸ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Bike TT + Serial + Foot Problems | Triathlete Treats - March 4, 2015

[…] Here is how it went down: I started conservative. I thought I started “slow” enough but I was dead way faster than last time! […]

2. Hour OF Power! | Triathlete Treats - March 21, 2015

[…] I decided that I would do one HOP and one strength/core work out a week. It kind of went along with I am going to do whatever I want until I start “training” again. […]