Swim progress!

3 Feb

I have always loved swimming. Especially because I spent most of my summers in the pool growing up. Of course I wasn’t swimming laps but lounging around while soaking up the rays! Since learning to swim “laps” when I started triathlon back in 2008, I have loved the water. I like going to swim practice. I like working hard. I even like the sets where I am literally sweating in the water.

It is unfortunate that the swim leg of triathlon is such a small piece of the race. You really have to work extra hard for extra days to improve by even a little bit. I have slowly but surely improved as the years have gone on. My biggest improvement happened when I started going to Master’s practices. What a difference that made!!

Then Chris left that gym. The gym closed. I changed gyms (to MW) while the rest of those gym members went to the “designated” gym(we will call that RP) that they could go to. There was a 1x/week Masters MW. I started going there (the first 6 months of Whistler training). I was actually ok swimming once with Masters and 2x on my own. I felt like I had made some improvements (of course they didn’t show in the race) but then that gym was closing to resurface the pool. We then change to RP. I was excited to see all of my old Master’s friends.

I swam with them until Whistler and then I was over it. I liked the coach but not really the work outs. As you all know I went on a swimming hiatus from August through most of the fall. I finally started to swim regularly after NYC. It turned out I was doing a lot of the Master’s work outs (because they were left on the board) but I didn’t have to get up at the break of dawn to do them. I did them because I needed a work out.

Anyways long story longer: I found this article. 4 weeks to a 1500 PR. I had it cut out from a Triathlete Magazine from December 2013. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was doing this program but I finished it!!

I did my first TT on January 1st. I had written a how to swim a 1000 TT about a year ago and went back and read it before I swam. I think that it helped get me through. 1500 yards is a long way to go in the pool! πŸ™‚

I did my 2nd time trial yesterday and swam 37 seconds faster than I did on the 1st time trial. YES!!

Here are the 2 TT results:
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 12.22.31 PM

I really just wanted something different to do. I am glad it was only 4 weeks. I liked that the first work out of the week was building up long endurance (200,300,400,500s) but the 2nd and the 3rd day were all 100s. I thought it was a perfect program to work on right before I settle into training for Victoria.

I did every work out (but 1) to the tee. The work-out calls for about a 1000 warm up, main set was 1500-2000, and 500 cool down but I didn’t want to swim that much. I usually did a 600 warm up; the main set; usually a 200 cool down. The one work-out that I just wasn’t feeling it on was the 3rd week–3rd work-out. I did 1 of the 3 sets. I just wasn’t into it and cooled down. I went home and really wasn’t upset about not doing the entire work-out. Life goes on!

I thought about maybe doing one more cycle of this 4 week program just to get me through February but I am kind of tired of this routine. I might try to find a different program or just look back at old work outs!!

If you are in a rut or need some motivation this is a great 4 week program. I was excited to see the progress!!

23 Responses to “Swim progress!”

1. Single-Tracked Mind February 4, 2015 at 7:18 AM #

What a great way to challenge yourself!! You’re a FAST swimmer!

2. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com February 4, 2015 at 7:25 AM #

Congrats on the progress! I’m sure you can find another short program to do to mix things up. I always found that if I was bored with the workouts, I’d perform poorly, so HAD to mix it up.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM #

Thanks!! Yes!! I have to have a work out when I go to the pool or it ends up being not much of a work out!!! πŸ™‚

3. Kecia February 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM #

Progress is progress and 37 seconds is a big drop in time! Congrats πŸ˜‰

4. Change of Pace February 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM #

Impressive progress in just one month! Way to go!!
    The one thing I never liked in ironman training was swimming. I’d only do it once a week, if that, and just for time πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM #

I wasn’t sure what was going to happen!! I did 3×500 the week before on 9:00 so I figured I would PR. I just didn’t know what would happen!! I was excited!! It is hard with swimming you really have to put the time in. But for not that much gain!! 😦

5. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides February 4, 2015 at 10:56 AM #

Yay for you! So impressed.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM #

Thanks!! I was a little lost in the pool today when I went to swim because I didn’t have a work out!! πŸ™‚

6. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete February 5, 2015 at 8:57 AM #

Way to go Leslie!! Sharing this plan with a few of my training buddies, since I think they’d enjoy it πŸ™‚

7. Lee@tri*inspired*life February 5, 2015 at 9:38 AM #

Great job Leslie! It is awesome that you have such positive results to report! Swimming is my toughest area, so it always requires more work to see the gains! My first week of Raleigh 70.3 training, I have pulled in a couple of workouts from other/older plans. Any type of variety you can find for the pool is great in my opinion!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 5, 2015 at 2:26 PM #

Thanks Lee!! I always feel better after I have had a break. Working on speed has been my biggest change. Doing threshold tests and working on those paces were huge for me!! Also bumping up another day of swimming!! I feel like it is a lose lose situation because you have to spend so much more time on it with not that much gain!! 😦

8. Kim Fox @ Swimmykimy February 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM #

Nice work!! I do love swimming posts πŸ™‚ My background is in swimming myself and I just LOVE time in the pool and masters work outs! Test sets are a really great indicator, I would definitely try to do one monthly if you can to track progress! Do you also do 10 x 100’s holding a specific interval? That is always a great one too, but it’s a little easier because you can down down to the end a bit faster than a 1500 πŸ™‚ Let me know if you ever need any swimming advice!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 5, 2015 at 2:20 PM #

Awesome!! Thanks!!! If I were to do 10x100s how should I determine my interval?? Should I do a 1500 as a test set once a month? Or what distance?!!!

9. erin February 6, 2015 at 5:52 AM #

Swimming is so meditative, right?! Love my time in the water, too. Awesome job, Leslie! So fun to see progress! I second Kim… 10 x 100 is a great workout. My coach has me do that one almost once a week (and as the season progresses, it increases to 20 or 25 intervals) πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM #

Totally!! I guess I have never really done 10×100. This last program I was switching the interval times but doing at least 10.

10. FitnessFatale February 9, 2015 at 12:07 PM #

what great progess in such a short period of time! I love following plans so I would totally do something like this.

11. Steena February 12, 2015 at 6:39 PM #

New reader here, hi! Very cool that you followed a plan and got quicker! I’m not as organized when I want to get quicker, I just do drills at random and hope for the best.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 13, 2015 at 10:36 AM #

Hey Steena!! Thanks for stopping by! I wish I could find another plan that is similar but different! Not having any luck!! 😦

12. Amie February 27, 2015 at 7:47 AM #

I think swim progress is so fun! Congrats on the improvements, it’s so gratifying to compare results when they improve πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM #

It is super fun!! I need another program to get on cause I feel like I have already lost what I gained!! 😦