Happy Valentine’s Day!!

14 Feb

Happy February 14th! It has come around again! The holiday full of flowers, candy, chocolate, cards, and Cupid! Dan and I like to keep it to a minimum. Dinner and dessert is perfect for us. Last year he made dinner and I made dessert but since I am not working I figured I would do both!!

We actually celebrated last night because I have a friend in town up North so after our work outs we are heading to Olympia.

Dan came home from work last night and slyly put this on the fridge:
IMG_3561
It is a total inside joke but I thought it was super cute and wanted to share it!!

I had everything all prepped and ready to go so when we got back from our run I could just cook!! I made some vegetable lo mein. It was easy and delicious!
IMG_3556

I even sat the table so we could eat like grown ups!
IMG_3555

For the main course dessert I made red velvet oreo truffle brownies. I always like to do red velvet for Valentines day. I looked through a ton of recipes but this one looked the best!! My main concern was it was a box recipe. I would rather make the red velvet from scratch but my budget efforts just went with the $1 Betty Crocker box cake! (I didn’t even splurge for the Duncan Hines which is what the recipe calls for) πŸ™‚

I also went with the limited edition red velvet Oreos!
IMG_3549

The recipe was pretty easy. Make and bake the brownies. Layer on the oreo truffle. Melt some chocolate and put chocolate chips on the top! Pretty easy!
Image 2-14-15 at 10.14 AM

I used my bakers edge pan which was brilliant. Love it!!!!

Here is a peak at the inside:
IMG_3558

We had some mint chocolate chip ice cream to go with it.
IMG_3557

I think that Dan liked it!!
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 10.37.19 AM

Happy Valentines Day Friends!!!!! Anyone have big plans? Baking anything?? Anyone seeing 50 Shades of Grey?

16 Responses to “Happy Valentine’s Day!!”

1. Kecia February 14, 2015 at 2:34 PM #

We do not celebrate Valentine’s Day, but we did go to sushi with friends last night…SO YUMMY πŸ˜‰ Not something we do often due to the cost, but so worth it. As for 50 shades…I have no interest. I didn’t read the books and have no intention of seeing the movies either πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM #

I love sushi! Glad you had a fun time!! I ended up seeing the movie today. I read all of the books but a long time ago.I can barely remember what happens!! I liked it but I guess it isn’t getting very good reviews!!

2. MoM February 14, 2015 at 9:37 PM #

You float my boat or you’re a penguin! Both are cute, like the two of you. Happy Valentines Day!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 16, 2015 at 4:08 PM #

Both!!! πŸ™‚ I think that you are the only one that knows the penguin story. Do you remember it?!! Happy Valentine’s Day Ma!!!

3. erin February 15, 2015 at 5:36 AM #

What a fun night! Love that you sat at the dining table, too (I can’t remember when we had dinner at ours… we usually eat in front of the TV!)! On Friday, Nick too me out for filet and then to a live show downtown Minneapolis… we had a blast! And, yesterday, my niece, Finley, turned two!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM #

So fun! Happy Valentine’s Day Erin!!!! We usually just sit in front of the tv too but for “special” occasions we sit at the dining table! πŸ™‚

4. Lee@tri*inspired*life February 16, 2015 at 8:02 AM #

We had a nice evening out complete with sushi and chocolate cupcakes! Those brownies look awesome, BTW! I am a baker too, but opted to just have dessert out this year. I do want to see 50 Shades…I read the book last fall, so want to check out the movie. I LOVE the fridge signs…sooooo adorable!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM #

Happy Valentine’s Day Lee!!! Glad you had a great night out!!! I saw 50 Shades today and I liked it!!! πŸ™‚

5. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete February 16, 2015 at 8:03 AM #

YUM! Those brownies sound delicious. That post by Dan is so cute too. Glad you guys had a nice Valentine’s Day!

6. Luv What You Do February 16, 2015 at 8:40 AM #

Happy Valentine’s Day! Those bars look WONDERFUL!

7. Change of Pace February 16, 2015 at 12:13 PM #

Happy Valentine’s Day! Sounds like a perfect meal πŸ™‚ We just stayed home and Kelly made me a nice pasta dinner; I prefer low-key too!

8. Steena February 18, 2015 at 5:40 AM #

The red velvet Oreos are SOO GOOD!! I can’t buy a box, I’ll eat them all! Very cute card too!