#RNRPDX Kick Off Party!

18 Feb

As you know I do a lot of Rock N Roll races. I have done Portland the last 3 years it turns out. (I was thinking it was only 2 years) I am excited for the 4th installment of the race in May!!

I got an email on Monday for an invitation to the kick off party. I thought awesome I am sure I will be able to go because I am planning on being in town for the next couple of months(with the exception of this weekend). I kept scrolling down and found the date. February 17th! What when is the 17th? It is really hard to keep track of the day when you aren’t going to work everyday! #unemploymentproblems

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 9.04.21 AM
Awesome night for a quickie ride and run.
IMG_3564

Turns out it was the next day which as yesterday. I couldn’t believe they were sending it out with only a days notice! I wanted to go and needed to do a short run anyway.

So Dan and I rode our bikes there!
IMG_3565

Got a look at the new course!
IMG_3566
I am not super excited for the change. I think that it will be harder. Essentially they flipped the route. I liked the old course better!! Of course I still want to PR but it is different now that it is a different course.

We did a 3 miler which was good. When we got back to the store there was food, Gatorade, and plenty of Michelob Ultra. People acted like we had just come back from a 10 miler! Funny!!

Sara(I think), from RNR, talked about the new course in a little more detail. She said that the change was to alleviate the train/traffic stops. We are also starting a little later than we have the last couple of years due to a train. I have my doubts that the traffic stops will be totally eliminated but we will see!!!
IMG_3568
She also gave out Refuel (chocolate milk) visors/hats. I was pumped cause they are headsweats!
IMG_3570

It was fun but definitely not as many people as past kick off parties!!

Anyone doing any RNR races this year? I want to do the new Vancouver race in October and possibly Vegas in November. Anyone with me?!!

13 Responses to “#RNRPDX Kick Off Party!”

1. Sherrie February 19, 2015 at 5:30 AM #

Glad you pointed out that it was backwards because I didn’t even notice the mile markers at first when I looked at the course. Well, at least it will be easier to run down Hothorn at the end. But I agree, it’s kind of weird given that it was in the opposite direction before.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM #

I don’t know. It will be nice to run down Hawthorne but I didn’t mind running up it though. We will see how the race shakes out!!

2. Kristen February 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM #

I would totally be interested in the Vancouver RNR race. Isn’t the one is Vegas at night? I’m not sure about racing at night – it would completely throw me off. Haha. At some point I should probably look into the Portland RNR race. It’s only a quick trip over the mountain. When in May is it? I’m going to be gone for a lot of May, but if I’m around I would definitely consider doing it. Are you guys going to come over again for Pac Crest?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM #

I will definitely let you know if I decide to do Vancouver!!
      Vegas is at night. I did it the first year it was at night and it wasn’t that bad. I did my last 4-6 weeks of training mostly at night to get used to it!!
      RNR PDX is May 17! You should come over if your training allows!! 🙂
      We have a wedding Pac Crest weekend so we aren’t coming over. I might do the Deschutes Dash though?!

3. Single-Tracked Mind February 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM #

This kickoff party looks awesome! I can’t believe you took a picture while biking! 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 23, 2015 at 10:51 AM #

I always take pictures when I am biking and it will probably come to bite me in the ass soon enough!! 😉

4. bayrunnerjamie February 20, 2015 at 2:21 PM #

Looks like a fun kick-off party! I WISH I had food and drinks offered to me after every 3 miler 😀 I’ve done 2 RNR races, they are always well organized. I LOVED RNR AZ last year, I would definitely do it again. Ugh, I SO want to run in Portland…but of course the timing for RNR Portland doesn’t work! 😀

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 23, 2015 at 10:50 AM #

Maybe you can come to Portland next year!! 🙂 Have you done RNR SF? I did it in the inaugural year. It was fun!!!

• bayrunnerjamie February 28, 2015 at 1:46 AM #

No I haven’t run RNRSF! I’m not sure I will be half marathon ready by March, though, like I was hoping to be..but I will get to Portland eventually, it is SO close to me! 🙂

5. FitnessFatale February 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM #

Those competitor kick off parties are so fun! We did one for carlsbad 5000.

course changes are always disappointing! They changed our SD RNR a few years ago and the full is now way harder but the half is a it easier so I guess it’s a trade off!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 24, 2015 at 3:39 PM #

Definitely disappointing BUT if the race goes good then maybe it won’t be so disappointing! 🙂

6. Kristin (@SweatCourage) February 25, 2015 at 8:43 AM #

My first Half Marathon ever was the RnR Virginia Beach! I remember the Mich Ultra at the end… but I wasn’t of age at the time:) Sorry to hear they switched the course on you, but I have no doubt you can still get that PR!