Bike TT + Serial + Foot Problems

4 Mar

Where have I been? I was going to do this post last Wednesday after my bike TT. It obviously never happened! Looking for a job takes a lot out of me!! 😉 Plus my mom was in town for 4 days and we kept busy!!

Last Wednesday, I had another bike time trial. I was definitely worried about my legs still being tired after running 34 miles in Arizona! I took Sunday/Monday off. I did a very easy/light spin on my trainer Tuesday. Wednesday it was go time!

We had a long warm up. We did some spin-ups. My last TT was 195 watts. My original goal was: 200-205 watts a few weeks ago. I was definitely feeling more confident at the end of our build. I guess on a whim Wednesday morning Brad was asking what our goals were and I said 205-210 watts which I thought was high but do-able. I thought my build went really well and I could strive for a little higher than I thought I could do. In the end I think it had more to do with my dead legs than anything!

Here is how it went down: I started conservative. I thought I started “slow” enough but I was dead way faster than last time!

Right at 5 minutes I was at 185 watts. Perfect!
At 13 minutes I was at 195 watts. Perfect!
At 15 minutes I was at 197 watts. I wanted to barf. I mean there was still 5 minutes to go. 300 seconds. Could I make it? Would I make it?

At this point all I wanted to do was maintain. I got up to 198 at about 17. Brad came by and said keep it right around 205-210, your goal. I was. The average never moved. I thought shit. You have got this! You have to at least get to 200. I barely squeaked out 201 watts. We were done and I almost barfed. I couldn’t even look at Dan. I just kept thinking don’t barf. don’t barf!!!

I was happy for a 6 watt improvement but I was disappointed that I wasn’t closer to 205. I am pretty sure I can get there and maybe even 210. I signed up for one last 8 week build. We will see what I can do this time around!!

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 9.41.52 PM
It is so funny how you hear things now a days. Everything is social media this and twitter that. What is trending today? Unlike most of the United States I didn’t even know what Serial was about. “Everyone” was talking about it but I had no idea just what it was!

When we were in Arizona, Anne was going to start listening to it while she ran. Stephanie and Kat had already listened to it and said it was the greatest podcast ever. (maybe not ever but close)

I asked what the premise was and of course it sounded interesting!

Last Monday I had dinner with some friends and it was super nice out so I walked. I knew it would take about an hour so I thought maybe I will listen to Serial. I downloaded it and had a listen.

OMG.SO.GOOD. I proceeded to listen to episodes 2-7 on Tuesday and 8-finish on Wednesday. I have to say it was awesome. It kept my attention. I was engaged. I think that my feelings are probably the same as everyone else’s. He may or may not be guilty but there definitely wasn’t enough evidence to convict him!! Well that may not be what everyone else is thinking but those are my thoughts! 🙂

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 9.46.15 PM
Last but not least. My foot had been good. I have been doing all my glute exercies. My running has been good. Ragnar went great. But my foot was sore for more days then I would like to admit! I would have loved to have gone to see my original sports doc but since I lost my job I have new insurance! wah!! wah!! After thinking Victoria is going to be no-going my foot has been better.

I am going to take a few more days off and test out the water. Wish me luck!!

Have you listened to Serial? Did you binge like me or listen to it week by week??

29 Responses to “Bike TT + Serial + Foot Problems”

1. MoM March 4, 2015 at 11:30 PM #

I loved my visit with you and Dan, and can’t wait for the next one!

2. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com March 5, 2015 at 6:29 AM #

Glad you saw some improvement, even if it wasn’t as much as you wanted. You’ll get there! I’ve never listened to Serial before, but now I might have to! Super good luck with your foot! Sending positive healing vibes your way 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 8, 2015 at 9:04 PM #

I can’t believe you haven’t heard of Serial! Definitely look it up and see if it is up your alley!
      Thanks for the positive vibes. My foot is feeling better of my my knee is bothering me now! WTF?!

3. katielookingforward March 5, 2015 at 6:30 AM #

I’m still holding out on serial. I will be job searching soon and I thought it would be good to obsess with later when I need my mind on something. I’m also hoping they come out with a season 2, so I’m waiting for that announcement.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 8, 2015 at 9:03 PM #

Yes!! Wait until you have time!! It will be worth it!! I have heard that they are working on a season 2! 🙂

4. Kristen March 5, 2015 at 10:09 AM #

Time trials are never easy. Way to go hard and show some improvement. You have to give yourself a little credit given that your legs were probably not 100%.

I listened to the entire series of Serial in three days. It was totally binge-worthy. I definitely do not think there is enough evidence to convict him. The entire story is quite fascinating and makes me want to become a detective. 🙂

5. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete March 5, 2015 at 10:38 AM #

I’m not as hooked on Serial as I thought I would be! I love shows like Law & Order, Criminal Minds, First 48, etc. but I just can’t seem to get into it. Oh well. Way to push on the TT. An improvement is an improvement, and I’m sure you’ll see continued progress during the next 8 weeks! Hope you had an awesome time with your mom!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM #

Really!? You are the first person to say they couldn’t get into Serial. Do you think you will finish the series?

6. Single-Tracked Mind March 5, 2015 at 1:16 PM #

I miss Serial! It was soooo good!!!! I’m glad you also got hooked. 🙂

7. Lee@tri*inspired*life March 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM #

You gave your TT everything you had and that is what matters! Way to go! One question for you…just so I understand, when you are talking about your watts and your goals and actuals, are you referring to average watts? Just curious…

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 8, 2015 at 8:55 PM #

Yes! Thanks Lee!!! Definitely!! Average watts for the whole 20 minutes. So as I was going through the test they were the average watts building.

8. Steena March 5, 2015 at 4:20 PM #

I actually haven’t jumped on the Serial bandwagon! I’ve heard a ton about it, but I’m not into podcasts. Hope your foot cooperates with you!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 8, 2015 at 8:52 PM #

I am not into podcasts either but this is definitely worth a listen!! 🙂
      My foot has been feeling better! Hoping it stays that way!!

9. Kecia March 7, 2015 at 6:03 AM #

Nice work on the TT lady!! I LOVED Serial and wish they would continue it!! I didn’t binge listen to it entirely…I binge listened to the first 8 episodes (but not all in one day…maybe over the course of 2 weeks), but then I had to listen to them weekly since the rest of the episodes hadn’t been released yet. I hope your foot starts cooperating soon and you can do all you’ve planned with no pain, lots of fun and huge successes!! 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 8, 2015 at 8:49 PM #

Thanks!! I think that they are going to do another Serial season! (on another case)
      Now my foot is good but my knee is bothering me!! Dang!

• Kecia March 9, 2015 at 2:18 AM #

Anytime my knee bothers me, it is usually a need for some tweaks with my bike fit or new running shoes. Yay for more Serial!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 9, 2015 at 9:10 AM #

It is definitely not my bike. My running shoes (i wear 2) aren’t that old. I think it could be my IT band which sucks cause that takes forever to heal.(what I have read anyway)!! It only hurts when I am running downhill!

• Kecia March 9, 2015 at 9:20 AM #

Boo!!

10. Luv What You Do March 8, 2015 at 5:26 PM #

My study buddy just told me about Serial but said that it is so addicting that I need to wait until after the test to start. Sad thing is that I don’t know how to find a podcast or what I would even listen to it on but I will have to figure it out. It sounds right up my alley!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 8, 2015 at 8:46 PM #

YES!!! Definitely wait until after your test!! You don’t have iTunes? (on a computer or iPod?)

• Luv What You Do March 9, 2015 at 6:55 AM #

I do! I have it on my computer and I have a 7 year old ipod that I am planning to update (due to the fact it ran out of space with all my kids yoga playlists) when I get my tax refund : )

Is it free or do you buy it?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM #

Easy! It is free!! Go to the podcast section and download it!! 🙂

• Luv What You Do March 9, 2015 at 4:53 PM #

Awesome! Done I found it : )

11. mkadens1 March 9, 2015 at 2:15 PM #

Your time trial sounds tough! Hooray for improvement. I’m just barely getting into triathlon myself so this is foreign territory for me. I’ve listened to the first Serial out on a run. Looking forward to more. I think I’m the last to board the Serial wagon!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 9, 2015 at 8:38 PM #

Time trials are always hard! 🙂 Triathlon is great and you will learn a lot!! Do you have any races coming up?
      I thought I was the last to get on the Serial wagon!! ha!

12. erin March 10, 2015 at 9:17 AM #

Great work on your TT, Leslie! You’re increasing, and that’s what matters. There’s definitely a 210 in you, so keep pedaling and working hard 🙂

Hope your foot is feeling better this week! How’s the job hunt??

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM #

Yes!! Just increasing is the name of the game!!!! I will get there!! Geez by the time I get there you will be pushing 300 watts!!! 🙂
      My foot is feeling better. The job search is going but not that far!!! It will get there!!!