If it’s NOT Raining it’s NOT Shamrock!!

15 Mar

Well I jinxed the entire city of Portland with my last post! It has been epic weather here the last few months! This weekend not so much. Today, the Portland Shamrock Run, NOT.SO.MUCH!

I worked the Nuun booth at the expo on Friday and Saturday which is always fun. Spreading the #nuunlove!!
Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 8.31.49 PM

I bought a few goodies too!!
Oofos for 1/2 off! Boom!!
Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 9.40.18 PM
Roo Sport! Awesome product! Our booth was behind their booth. I didn’t even realize that they were there until Tiffany told me she bought one!! (thanks a lot Tiff) πŸ˜‰
Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 9.40.38 PM

BTW —>
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 2.09.56 PM

Go to Nuun by the 17th and get a free pint glass!

ALSO—> Because it is your lucky day here is a coupon code to use before 3/26: LuckyNuunFriends for 20% off!

My foot has been good but my right outer knee was bothering me while running downhill. I put some KT Tape on it. (I won a giveaway last year. I can finally use it!!) I am thinking it is IT Band issues. It is definitely feeling better! I am staying off the hills for a while!! If it is not one thing it is another!

One of my favorite races of the year was today! The Shamrock Run!! We woke at 6am to the sound of pouring rain.

Me: It is pouring!
Dan: Right!!
Me: Lets just skip Shamrock this year.
Dan: Really? (as he was getting back in bed)
Me: No! Lets just go!! πŸ™‚

We rode our bikes to the gym to drop our bags. Walked down to the start. It was raining and it was dark!!

The 15K was the first race of 4 to start. I was happy we were the first! I heard later that the other starts times were delayed and there was lots of craziness! We started (I think) right on time.
Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 9.41.22 PM

I decided right off the bat that I was not going to check my clock. I was going to run and hope for the best. I was not really going for a PR. I just didn’t think it would happen. My endurance is there but my speed was not. I had done some hill repeats for Ragnar training but I took a break after I got back. There just wasn’t time! I would run hard and see what happened! I didn’t want to push my knee either! The rain didn’t make it any better!!

There was a ton of puddles. Everyone dodging them and splashing. I avoided a few. After about a mile my feet were soaked and there was nothing I could do about it!

Just like last year: I had passed the first train crossing and I could hear the horns coming so I sprinted ran hard for at least a quarter of a mile but it was worth it because I didn’t get stopped! I was literally running over the tracks as the gates were coming down!

I settled back into my pace. It felt more comfortable at least!! πŸ™‚ The flat section was over. Onto Broadway which was good. Hard. The first section of Terwilliger is the hardest but I got through it. I caught up to Dan at about mile 5.5 or so. That was fun!

We ended up running together the rest of the race. The downhill was good. My knee did pretty good. It was sore just a little as we were passing the 7 mile sign. But surpassed the soreness pretty quick. I had told Dan that I wasn’t looking at my clock and I didn’t want to know the time. As we got to the end he was pushing me. I knew he knew what my PR was so I figured it would be close!!
IMG_3813

….and it was! Not close enough! I was :50 seconds over my PR! 1:31:16! Good for 9:48 average miles and not on a flat course! #soclosebutsofaraway

It was a fun race! I am glad that Dan and I could run a bunch of miles together!

Cute medals…as usual! Ugly shirts…as usual! Until next year!!
Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 9.40.52 PM

I met some Oiselle ladies for brunch afterwards!! I was starving! It was delicious!!

Oiselle Birdies!

Oiselle Birdies!

Anyone else doing a Shamrock run?

23 Responses to “If it’s NOT Raining it’s NOT Shamrock!!”

1. Lee@tri*inspired*life March 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM #

Sounds like you guys had fun despite the crappy weather! Way to make the best of it and not worry about your time. Plus you and Dan got to run together which is a bonus. Good job!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM #

Thanks Lee! It was fun. It is always fun whether it is raining or not!! We come to expect it in March but since it has been so nice who though it would be crappy! πŸ™‚

2. Single-Tracked Mind March 16, 2015 at 3:41 PM #

Awesome race despite some problematic conditions! Is your knee problem IT band pain? It sounds like the pain I was having earlier this year.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM #

I think it is ITB pain! I used some KT tape and that seemed to work! I sent you an email through your website. Did you get it? I was wondering how your pain was and what you have done?!!

• Single-Tracked Mind March 16, 2015 at 6:57 PM #

Agh! I’m sorry I missed that! My pain is MUCH better – what seemed to work best was not running, getting deep tissue sports massages that focused on my IT bands, and doing hip strengthening exercises. I’m not sure if it was one of those things or all of them, but this seemed to work for me. If you want to email me to talk more, you can email me at Orr.taylor@gmail.com. πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 17, 2015 at 5:06 PM #

Awesome! Thanks for the info!!

3. Steena March 17, 2015 at 4:57 AM #

aggggh, wish i wasn’t so broke right now! That Nuun coupon + pint glass! Oh well. Awesome that you braved the less than ideal weather for that run!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 17, 2015 at 5:05 PM #

Definitely! I train in the rain and it is no biggie. But since it has been so nice it was like agh…now we have to do this race in the rain!! It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be though!!

4. Change of Pace March 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM #

Fun how many races you run! So close to a PR- way to run! And thank goodness you missed the train!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM #

Sometimes I think it is too many and then i think who cares! πŸ™‚ I have been trying to keep it in check a little more than I used to!! πŸ™‚

5. Ashley March 19, 2015 at 6:33 AM #

Awesome job putting in the work on an icky day!! Especially not even trying to PR! I too have dealt with it band issues, and they are the worst! Especially when you otherwise feel strong, but have that nagging pain/tightness. After years of knee issues (9) and thinking I could never run, I discovered foam rolling. It literally makes a world of difference. When I don’t do it regularly, my it band starts to tighten and the knee pain sets in. Also, yoga has reeeeally helped with these issues as well. I hope you get it worked out! And congrats again on your race πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 19, 2015 at 3:37 PM #

Thanks Ashley!!! I foam roll and stretch all the time. That is what is frustrating! I do all the right things! I have got some exercises to do to strengthen my hips! Hoping that helps!!
      Always something!

6. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com March 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM #

Congrats on the race! I don’t mind a few miles in the rain, but a race, ugh, not so much. Super jealous you got to work the Nuun booth! You’re convo with Dan would have been the same with Todd- he would have happily skipped it, but for me, of course he would still go ❀ I want a Oiselle sweatshirt! I'm too cheap… get it… cheep cheep, like a bird. Man, I'm so corny, but at the same time, crack myself up.

7. erin March 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM #

Great race! Ones with crazy weather are usually the most memorable, right?! And, so fun you and Dan got to run some miles together πŸ™‚ Hope your IT band is feeling better!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 19, 2015 at 3:24 PM #

Thanks Erin!! It is funny my ITB only hurts when running downhill. I think I am going to take a few weeks off. Again agh but that should help! πŸ™‚

8. Kecia March 20, 2015 at 6:17 AM #

Looks like you had a lot of fun despite the crazy weather!! Those Oofos look super comfy…I’ve never heard of that brand before. You’ll have to let me know how you like them πŸ™‚ I hope your IT band feels better soon!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM #

OMG!! You have to try Oofos. They are the best! (that is my 2nd pair) I can’t even wear other flip-flops anymore!
      The problem with my ITB is I don’t know it hurts until I am running!! So frustrating!!

• Kecia March 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM #

I will definitely have to give them a try!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM #

They are life-changing!! I promise!!! I got my first pair (i think) on Amazon!! but when I saw this pair for 1/2 off I didn’t even flinch about buying them!

• Kecia March 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM #

Good to know!! πŸ˜‰

9. Luv What You Do March 21, 2015 at 6:46 PM #

The Chicago Sham Shuffle used to have the WORST weather every year. They ended up moving it to April : ) Looks like a fun run!