Hour OF Power!

21 Mar

In light of the new year, Jeremy decided to challenge all his clients to 10 sessions of “hour of power (HOP).” Now he has had HOP work outs on the board for a long time. I thought that maybe this was just to get more people to do the work-outs! It turns out it was just a challenge!!

The challenge was set at the beginning of the year! 10 HOP work-outs before April 1st and you would get a prize!

I decided that I would do one HOP and one strength/core work out a week. It kind of went along with I am going to do whatever I want until I start “training” again.

They were really hard and a few of them were longer than an hour. What I thought was really great was he had alternatives to some of the harder exercises. (For instance: almost always there was a 5 minute run at the beginning —> someone could do the bike or the elliptical.) He made it “do-able” for ALL abilities!!

Here is how we tracked it:
IMG_3802
He just added sheets as people started the challenge. I think there was 5 sheets going. Which is pretty cool. Everyone seemed to “enjoy” the challenge. I use the word enjoy very loosely!! Ha!

The standard lay-out was:
A quick run
Strength set
Core set
2nd cardio set
Strength set
Core set
3rd cardio set

Every week was totally different!! Sometimes the strength and core sets were mixed but there was usually 4 sets of 4 sets!! I always looked at the board and thought there is no way I will be able to do this in an hour! There was always lots of lunges and push-ups! One week we did a ton of jump roping. He mixed the exercises up with TRX, Bosu, Stability Ball, Med balls. It was always a good work-out! You are guaranteed to be tired and sweaty after the hour!

I did my 11th work out this week! It was a doozy too! I also got my prize. I was betting on a shirt that said “I did 10XHOP and all I got was this lousy shirt.”

But it was cuter than that!
Image 3-20-15 at 9.41 PM

I think that I will continue to do the HOP work-outs through training for Victoria.

Do you strength train?

16 Responses to “Hour OF Power!”

1. Kecia March 21, 2015 at 5:43 PM #

I love this idea!! How many classes of HOP are offered each week?

I do my own strength training on Mondays, teach TRX on Thursdays and do my own core work on Saturdays, so I do get my strength training in 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 21, 2015 at 8:02 PM #

He writes the HOP on the board at the beginning of the week.(so it is different weekly) You do it on your own and can do it as many times as you want!! I just do it once a week. There are some people who had all 10 stickers weeks ago!

• Kecia March 22, 2015 at 5:21 AM #

That’s a great way to do it. I like it 😊

2. Luv What You Do March 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM #

I do strength train but I use a trainer to keep me motivated since I”m sure a cardio junkie : )

3. Steena March 22, 2015 at 6:13 AM #

Sounds intense! What a great way to keep your body surprised every week. I strength train, but it’s generally the same routine. Changing it up is so much better!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 24, 2015 at 12:01 PM #

It really is awesome! It is a nice functional strength work-out that is not the typical bench-press and lat pulldown!! 🙂

4. Kristen March 22, 2015 at 7:06 AM #

I think a challenge like this or being part of a group would help me integrate more strength workouts. I need a lot of encouragement when it comes to doing workouts I am not excited about – it seems like this is the type of environment that would be perfect for me. I like how there is even a board where everyone can keep track. That would definitely motivate me. Congrats on your HOP success and continued efforts to get stronger!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 24, 2015 at 11:59 AM #

Oh yeah I think that you would like these especially for the encouragement/motivation aspect!! It is a nice way to get in a strength work out. It is a lot of functional training which is good for triathletes!

5. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com March 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM #

I only do strength in a class/group environment. Body Pump is my fave! I think this would be right up my alley though. Glad you enjoy it and are working hard 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM #

The work-outs doing feel like a cardio sessions even though there is a cardio sprinkled in!! I think you would like these work-outs. It is nice cause it is always changing. Sometimes with body pump it is all the same stuff!! 🙂

6. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life March 23, 2015 at 6:22 AM #

I don’t do enough strength training during the time I am on a race training plan. I seem to be able to fit them during the off season better, but still strive to keep them going during race season.

This challenge sounds like a really neat experience and a creative and motivating way to get your strength training in! Way to go to meet the challenge and EARN you shirt!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM #

I didn’t do any strength for a long time. I started doing it last year in conjunction with my IM training. I like it. I feel like it makes me stronger in swimming, biking, and running! But it takes time too! Which as you know can be tight some times!!!

7. Amie March 25, 2015 at 6:30 AM #

HOP sounds intense – and makes me wish we had something similar here!! I totally need some focus on strength training (since it’s non existent) in my life…

8. FitnessFatale March 25, 2015 at 4:14 PM #

Good work! I love a challenge – I’m totally motivated by them! I lovd strength training and incirporate it in various ways in my training depending on where I am in the cycle and what I’m training for!