Figuring It Out!

4 Apr

Well I survived my first 5 day work week! (Just a tid-bit: I have not worked a 5 day work week since 2002! Welcome to the life of a dental hygienist!) It was good and terrifying all at the same time!!

First off: I accepted a job as a dental customer service rep at Moda Health last week and started Monday. I am not sure this is the job of my dreams but I am excited for a new challenge and an awesome company to work for! We have 8 weeks of training. There are 3 of us in “our class” with 2 trainers. I think we have really good odds of having a lot of one-on-one time. I am the only one with dental experience. The other 2 (Leslie (yes there are 2 of us) & Krystal) have worked banking and retail!

Second off: The biggest problem I had going to work for a company is the dress attire. It is business casual. Now most of you who have read my blog for a while know that I pretty much wear scrubs and work out clothes. Not much more than that!! That being said my mom and I went shopping the last time she was here and I bought a bunch of dresses. (That is the only reason I had something to wear to the interview) πŸ™‚

Third off: We had to go shopping. I hate shopping unless it is for work out clothes! Dan and I ventured down to the outlet mall. I was not excited. We spent 4 hours shopping. I got some clothes at Banana Republic. The majority of the stuff I got was from Columbia (which I felt was more sporty business casual than business casual but Dan said it was good) and Loft. I got a lot of stuff! I was pumped that I got as much as I got cause I didn’t think we would have a successful trip!

I was really pumped for Monday because we were going to get our badge. Hello I have never had a badge before!! #smallthingsinlife

The night before I would try on my outfit for the next day. I can tell you my figure looks so much better in business attire than scrubs!! I have that going for me!
Monday:
IMG_3905
Tuesday:
IMG_3907

Here is the next problem: It is a much further bike commute than my last job. I am talking 7.5 miles vs 3 miles EACH WAY! My plan was to drive to work on Monday and Friday. Bike on Tues-Thurs. I ended up riding Tues-Fri. It was good and bad but I have realized a few things.
—>It is a bitch to pack every.single.night. I literally need a check list so I don’t forget anything. I have to pack breakfast, snacks, and lunch. My work clothes. (within: top, bottom, undies, bra, shoes) My work-out stuff. (mainly swim stuff: cap, goggles, buoy/paddles/fins (depending on what my work out is), toiletries, towel, plastic bag to put wet stuff in). My badge, phone, gum, chapstick, toothbrush/toothpaste, water bottle. This got easier as the week went on. I can’t quickly do it or I will forget something!
—>The weather has been great but since I now to go to work the forecast was shit!
IMG_3897 I was lucky cause I just missed the downpour Tuesday morning. I got sprinkled on a bit but nothing crazy like I thought!
—>On Wednesday I came to the realization that I have zero desire to do anything after work. Which includes working out. The last thing I want to do is get back on my bike!
—>I had to give myself a reality check or maybe an attitude adjustment on Wednesday/Thursday. If I am going to train for Victoria, train hard, and have a good race…I am going to have to get up every.single.morning and work out! I will bike to work every.single.day and not complain about it!
—>I am going to re-vamp my schedule just a bit this weekend to reflect the 75 miles of commuting I will be doing and Saturday will become my NEW work-out day off.

Here was Tuesday mornings “things”

So much stuff!!

So much stuff!!

I was paranoid about getting to work on time every morning but since Tuesday was the first morning of a bike commute + swim beforehand I was on my way extra early. I took a snap shot of the early morning!
IMG_3910

Thursdays outfit:
IMG_3912
I also realized I am NEVER going to be able to wear a sleeveless/short sleeve because it is freezing! 😦

Another good thing/bad thing is I have never had 2 15 minute breaks EVER!! It is good because it is a break and a chance to have a snack but bad cause I would rather work through the 15 minutes and get done a half hour early. I also have an hour lunch. WTF am I going to do for an hour? The wi-fi sucks! They do have a computer in the lunch room so I used that twice to catch up on blogs! But for the most part I wish I could take a half-hour nap!! πŸ˜‰

There you have it! My first week as a non-dental hygienist working for a company with an ID badge! Whoa!

Have you ever gone from one extreme to a new extreme working? Or changed careers?

16 Responses to “Figuring It Out!”

1. bayrunnerjamie April 4, 2015 at 10:02 PM #

Aww congratulations on your new job!! Love all the new clothes, Banana Republic and Loft have the best clothes for business casual! That is a LOT of stuff to pack! I I am sure it is an adjustment getting used to a new routine (training, packing, riding to work) but with a few weeks practice I am sure you will ease in. I have definitely gone through extremes in work, from an insurance job in AZ to bartending in SF…and now a personal trainer! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 5, 2015 at 5:16 PM #

Definitely will take time to get into a routine and an adjustment for sure! It is nice to be back on a schedule though!! People say 3 career changes is the average for people! Maybe personal training is what you were meant to do!! πŸ™‚

2. Mrs. JLB April 5, 2015 at 12:27 AM #

Lookin’ good, Sis!!! LOVING the new look πŸ™‚ So profesh and all grown up!! xoxo.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM #

Thanks!!! The problem is I don’t even want to do my hair! I gotta work on that! πŸ˜‰ I do feel more like an adult! xoxo

3. Kecia April 5, 2015 at 4:46 PM #

Lookin’ good in the business casual chica and congrats on the new job!! I can’t imagine packing all of that stuff and taking it with you on the bike. You are a trooper!! I haven’t changed careers completely, just schools. There is a possibility that I could be changing careers in the near future, but we’ll see what fate has in store πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 5, 2015 at 5:14 PM #

Thanks!! I am still excited! Oh a possible career change for you too!??!! Can’t wait to hear more!!

• Kecia April 5, 2015 at 5:16 PM #

I hope it all pans out so I too have a career change πŸ˜‰

4. Kristen April 5, 2015 at 5:54 PM #

Congratulations on the new job! I know what you mean about having to dress appropriately for the work environment and not having anything to wear. When I was teaching classes at OSU, I went out and bought an entire wardrobe of dresses and business attire. Because I am younger, I felt that I needed to dress “up” more to be taken seriously. Now that I am teaching classes from home, I rarely dress up anymore unless I am attending meetings. I hope you adjust to the change and enjoy your new position!! You should give us all an update in a few weeks… πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 5, 2015 at 7:44 PM #

Thanks!! I think that it is definitely less “fancy” than I thought! I will definitely give you an update!! πŸ™‚

5. erin April 6, 2015 at 6:58 AM #

Congrats on the new gig, Leslie! How exciting! I start my new job tomorrow, and like you, wore primarily workout gear to my last gig (it was at a fitness company), so I’ve had to hit Mall of America for some new biz casual (jeans are even acceptable on Fridays at my new job). Good thing I like to shop πŸ™‚ So great you’re able to still bike commute! Packing for a full day while working in an office is tough, isn’t it?! Have a great second week!

6. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life April 6, 2015 at 7:30 AM #

I am excited for you and your new job! I hope I can report a new gig soon (not soon enough!!!). I too pack alot when I leave the house in the morning, but it all goes into my 4Runner…not on a bike…YIKES!

Your new outfits are cute and they look to be versatile. That is always good in an office environment. Also, as you have realized, cardigans are a great piece to have, since the temperatures can fluctuate. I have a heater in my office, which I end up running a lot!

7. evaallbooksconsidered April 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM #

I can’t believe I didn’t know you got a job! Congrats!!

8. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com April 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM #

Totally know about the career change and having to buy new clothes! I too hate shopping, but glad I did it in the long run. You’re outfits are cute! I love love love LOFT. They always have cute things on super sale, and of course Target πŸ™‚
    I can’t believe all the stuff you have to pack. That’s crazy!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 7, 2015 at 12:57 PM #

I hopefully won’t have to shop for a while now!! πŸ˜‰ I did so good packing last week!! Not as good this week! I forgot a sports bra for riding to work yesterday! I forgot a fork and face wash today! Dang!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 36 is the NEW 26? | Triathlete Treats - April 11, 2015

[…] Wow as of 2 Mondays ago. I started a new career. Bam checked that off. That was […]