Victoria Training Week 3

17 Apr

Well I wanted to do this re-cap days ago but having a new job is no joke! I am exhausted every day. Here is a quick update!! 🙂

Easter Sunday: Instead of hunting for Easter eggs we went for a bike ride. 37 miles! The sun was out! We did an out and back. I pushed hard with the tailwind but going toward the headwind was miserable. It was a great ride!!
IMG_4247
All smiles until the headwind!!

Monday:
am: 2500 yard swim: warm up with drills and builds. main set: 3{4×100) with 200 pull and paddles in between. cool down
pm: 4.25 mile run. Met up with the Portland Luna Chix group. We were supposed to do a track work out but we ended up doing hill repeats. It was the first practice and Jennifer was a little frazzled with things but everyone was laid back and had fun!!
luna1
{photo cred: Jennnifer H}

+15 mile bike commute (this better help me in some way)

Tuesday:
15 mile bike commute

Wednesday:
am: 17 mile C-Velo bike session. We worked on short, mid, and long climbs. The work out was tough. I remembered doing this work-out in December. I compared my power numbers from today and last time. I was super pumped for big improvements!!

pm: 40 minute: strength, glute, core work out

+9 mile bike commute (lucky for me C-velo is down the street from work so Dan took me and my bike to class and I rode to work from there!! 😉

Thursday:
am: 2300 yard swim: warm up with some builds; Main set 4×400. I was a little sad because I did this work out in January and I thought my times were faster then todays. I didn’t let it get me down. I pushed through the sad thoughts and still had a really great work-out. cool down. {They were actually faster today–that made me smile}

pm: 5.4 mile run. Dan and I went out. It was faster than I thought it would be but felt really good. I thought I will just go with it!!

Dirty dozen core/glutes/hips

+15 mile commute (if this doesn’t kill me it SHOULD make me stronger!!)

Friday:
15 mile bike commute

pm: strength: lateral balance with glutes and hips

Saturday:
am: 2200 yard swim; warm up and drills. main was mostly kicking and pulling. The work out had me do a 500 TT at the END of the work out. I was pleasantly surprised with my time especially after all the work before!

mid-day: 32 mile ride (with a 32 minute crit simulation). We worked on our normalized power instead of our average watts. There were also prizes. 10 of us. He didn’t tell us but he was “paying” 5 deep! The person who had the highest percentage over their threshold would win! This work out was TOUGH AS NAILS! Who knew there was strategy in a crit race! I ended up 5th with 5.5% higher than threshold (which was into my zone 4). Holy shit! I won some Honey Stringer chews!! It was worth it!

Week 3 went well. I got in all of my work outs. I am pleased with my progress. I am trying not to let my job “get in the way” of my training!! <—who says that!!

Hows your training going?

13 Responses to “Victoria Training Week 3”

1. Lauren @ Lauren Runs April 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM #

Great job training this week! I started my new job around the same time as you so I understand how new habits, and the mental effort/stress that goes into getting the hang of a new job can potentially impact training!

2. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life April 17, 2015 at 12:09 PM #

Thumbs up for your improvements. I am all the time comparing workout results and sometimes it can be so uplifting! Yeah, that whole work thing can really get in the way of all the other stuff we like to do:)!!!!!!

3. Single-Tracked Mind April 17, 2015 at 2:14 PM #

Nice week of workouts!!! Those 15 minutes of commuting add up! My training is going well. Trying to build up my running base!

4. Change of Pace April 17, 2015 at 5:33 PM #

Hahaha- love your last line of work getting in the way of training 🙂
    Looks like another awesome week in the books for Victoria! I bet you’ll smash the bike course there!
    I’m so happy to be back exercising! I went on three short runs, a couple TRX workouts, and even rode the trainer one day 🙂

5. Kecia April 18, 2015 at 9:30 AM #

I say that!! I get so frustrated when work gets in the way of my training 🙂 What a great week!! So glad you are able to join Jennifer’s Luna running group…how fun?!?!?! The bike commuting will definitely make you stronger, so don’t give up on it!! I’ve thought about commuting, but I’m not sure how to get everything I need with me (all the school work I bring home, my lunch, all my swim equipment/workout apparel)…it just seems so daunting! That and I only have 5 more weeks of the school year before summer break 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 19, 2015 at 8:54 AM #

Thanks Kecia! I can’t believe you only have 5 more weeks until summer break!! Exciting!!

• Kecia April 19, 2015 at 8:56 AM #

These last 5 weeks will probably drag on, only because I want them to fly by 😉

6. bayrunnerjamie April 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM #

Great week of workouts!! Haha jobs seems to always get in the way! But I’m glad you are able to make it work!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 21, 2015 at 8:37 PM #

Thanks!! It is funny when you are working 40 hrs a week how that gets in the way! Dang it! 🙂