A #secretwedding

26 Apr

When I had an extra ticket to a show and asked Dan to go with me….I never would have dreamt that I would marry him almost 2 years later!!

Let me back up a minute. I have never been one to dream about a big wedding. I have never wanted a big wedding. I have never even wanted to have a wedding. I have always wanted to just go off and get married. Dan knew that and he was perfectly fine with it. I think big weddings are a waste of money. No disrespect to anyone who has had a big one or wants to have a big one. It is just not for me!

Back in January. We started thinking about getting married. We went and looked at rings a few times. I found exactly what I wanted. I was very excited!! The problem was I did not want to be engaged either. Once you say you are engaged people start asking questions. I didn’t want the questions! I thought we would figure out a date and I would get the rings there!

My mom was coming for a visit at the end of February. We would tell her and Dan’s family(who live here) that we were planning on getting married!

February 25th: I was cooking dinner….
Dan: Where is your Road ID?
Me: I didn’t wear it today. I don’t know…probably in the bathroom
Dan: Put this on

WDUT=What do you think?

WDUT=What do you think?

Me: OMG….OMG…OMG…. (Dan disappears…)
Dan: Will you marry me? (with my rings in hand)
Me: YES…YES….YES….
IMG_3683

It was very exciting. I just wanted to get married that weekend!! Dan said NO because my dad, bro, and SIL wouldn’t be there. We had a fun dinner telling them the story. We had a hard time picking a date but I won’t bore you with those details!!

We finally had a date!! April 18th! We told everyone this was a BIG SECRET and they were not to say a word to anyone! I started looking for places to have a lunch after our quiet ceremony. It was harder than I thought. Why are places not open for lunch on Saturday? We finally picked a peruvian place with a room to rent.

After we had finalized those plans, Dan thought we should have some sort of party. I didn’t really want to do anything. I wanted a quiet ceremony and nice lunch with just our families. We ended up compromising on a “birthday party/Dan getting into grad school party.” We rented out a room at a brew pub. We had some snacks and got cookies. (I didn’t want a cake either. Too much work. Plates, forks…) We invited local peeps and took bets on who we thought would think the party was a hoax.

It was really hard keeping the secret. Much harder than I thought it would be!!

The weekend was finally here!! Our #secretwedding was finally here.

Friday: Dan and I went to breakfast together: the calm before the storm!
IMG_4285
IMG_4286

My mom and SIL(Stevie) arrived at noon. We met Dan’s mom(Laurie) and had a bridal shower. Consisting of manis/pedis and getting tea/pastries. I joke that we had my bachelorette party afterwards at a lingerie shop with my new SIL, Annie!! The rehearsal dinner was Friday night. Everyone met who had never met. We all had dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Saturday: Wedding day! I slept at home but when I left at 7am I didn’t see Dan again until the ceremony.
7am-buy some flowers
7:30-swim
9:00-pick up cookies
image
9:30-blow out with my hairdresser that was on her way to the coast!
IMG_4297
10:30-Put on dress and a little make-up(what-what)
11:15-ceremony/pictures at the park
LesDanMoms-2
IMG_4410
DSC01234
12:30-arrive at lunch
IMG_4316
4:00-nap/relax time
6:00-head over to “birthday” actually wedding party
IMG_4343
6:30-watch people’s reactions as they walked into the party! Priceless!!

Zero Stress!! I wouldn’t have done it any other way!

We sent out 110 cards:
image
The news hit Facebook Monday night and it was out out of control from there!

Sunday: Brunch and Multnomah Falls
Image 4-25-15 at 9.19 PM
IMG_4413

It was a super fun weekend but Dan and I often used this hashtag: #letselope (isn’t that what we were doing anyway) πŸ˜‰ along with the countdown!!

What kind of wedding did you have or what kind of wedding do you want?

50 Responses to “A #secretwedding”

1. Cami April 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM #

I’m so happy for you, Leslie! I’m not sure what kind of wedding I’d want. But I love the spirit in which you did yours. When the time comes, I’ll consider a #secretwedding :).

2. katielookingforward April 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM #

LOVE IT! I have no idea what my wedding will look like, but I know my dad can’t keep a secret to save his soul, so he wouldn’t be able to be a part of secret wedding plans.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM #

Thanks Katie!! So funny about your dad! I was actually afraid to tell me mom!! She did pretty good but definitely told some people she wasn’t supposed to! πŸ™‚

3. Kecia April 26, 2015 at 11:47 AM #

Congratulations!! SO MUCH FUN πŸ™‚ We had a very small wedding (immediate family and grandparents, totaling 30 people) in my parents backyard. We grilled dinner and ate pie. So much fun and nothing at all fancy. Much like your wedding, it required minimal planning, was cheap, was stress free and was the perfect way to do it.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM #

Thanks Kecia!! it was so much fun! I think people are afraid to have a small party in fear that their friends are going to miss out (or be mad)!! πŸ™‚

• Kecia April 27, 2015 at 1:16 PM #

I agree!! We did get a few people who were disappointed, but most were happy for us. πŸ˜‰

4. Stana Tomcova April 26, 2015 at 12:39 PM #

Leslye and Dan, congratulation… Stana from Europe

5. Laurie Weinsoft April 26, 2015 at 2:44 PM #

It was a wonderful weekend. You both got exactly what you wanted. Welcome to the family. Much love, your MIL

6. Luv What You Do April 26, 2015 at 3:50 PM #

I LOVED reading your story and it all sounds so low key and perfect. We considered it (multiple times) but are continuing on our path. I love that you guys surprised your friends and so exciting that you were able to celebrate with everyone. Both your dresses are adorable!!! Congrats again!

7. Amie April 26, 2015 at 6:16 PM #

CONGRATS!! I loved reading about your #secretwedding – I agree that big weddings are a waste of money and think what you guys chose to do is so awesome! It’s more important to truly celebrating the decision to be together and to share with your closest family and friends – and so much easier to keep it low key!

Wishing you and Dan all the happiness in the world!

8. Tiffany Kalihi April 27, 2015 at 5:45 AM #

I love love love this story! It’s so perfectly you and Dan! I imagine having a small ceremony in a park much like yours but I don’t think I could keep it a secret. Then again. .. you guys made #secretwedding look like a lot of fun!

9. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life April 27, 2015 at 6:39 AM #

You two are so cute and the pictures show how happy you are! I just had to laugh, though, that you swam the morning of your wedding. Talk about dedicated! I had a church wedding with a full mass and it was perfect for us.

I wish you continued happiness and years full of fun and adventure! Congratulations!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM #

Thanks Lee!!! So funny cause everyone is like…You are going to swim in the morning? Yes of course I am!! I had to do something!! πŸ™‚

10. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete April 27, 2015 at 6:45 AM #

Congratulations Leslie and Dan!!! This is an amazing story. You two are so cute and I’m glad you got to surprise everyone and do your wedding your way! You look so happy (and gorgeous!!!) Cheers to a life full of love, happiness, and lots of swim-bike-run together πŸ™‚

11. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete April 27, 2015 at 6:46 AM #

PS a proposal by Road ID is just too perfect πŸ™‚

12. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com April 27, 2015 at 7:16 AM #

I absolutely LOVE this story! What a perfect wedding… seriously. You totally pulled the surprise off. Dan was pretty clever to ask via your road ID- too cute. I’m so happy for you two and wish you all the years of happiness and love. Congrats girl ❀

13. MoM April 27, 2015 at 8:20 AM #

It was a special weekend, and a life time memory… I was so happy to be a part of the #secretwedding!

14. Jenny Emmerich April 27, 2015 at 8:54 AM #

Love this!! So happy for you guys and wish I were in Portland to celebrate with you!

15. Change of Pace April 27, 2015 at 3:47 PM #

I love everything about your #secretwedding, from how Dan proposed to your dress and flower combo to the day being exactly as you wanted it! Pure perfection.
    A HUGE congratulations to you and Dan! I’m so happy for you guys!
    I bet people’s reactions at the party were priceless!
    We had a big wedding. If we did it now, parents and siblings and a few close friends in the mountains!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM #

Thanks Abby!! It was so fun! The reactions were ALMOST my favorite part of the day!! πŸ˜‰

16. Single-Tracked Mind April 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM #

CONGRATULATIONS Leslie!!! You deserve such happiness, and it is so great that you had a wedding exactly as you always wanted – low key and zero stress. I love that you swam on the morning of your wedding πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM #

Thanks!!! It was a perfect day! I had to do something to off-set the cake I was going to eat! πŸ˜‰

17. Sarah L April 27, 2015 at 5:22 PM #

We love you guys!!! So happy to have been there for the big surprise celebration. While we had an amazing, very big wedding 9 years ago this July, I can totally see the appeal of a small wedding. A wedding is exactly what you want from it. We were just out of college/grad school when we got married and wanted to invite the world. I wouldn’t have changed mine for a minute. It was perfect for us, just like yours for you. You married your perfect match. Big, small, whatever you choose. It is about the two of you and wanting to spend your life together with the person you love. I’m so happy you found that in each other. Hugs!

18. Linda Ferguson April 27, 2015 at 5:35 PM #

Again congratulations to you both. Rob and I did something similar, we decided on Monday to get married on Friday. Found a funky little place to get married. Went to dinner with my folks and daughter, then went western dancing with some friends and told them we had gotten married. Way better than te big wedding I had the first time. May you both have many wonderful years together. Hope to meet you soon. Love, Auntie Linda

19. Claudia April 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM #

Congratulations! Such a great story!

20. Brittany April 28, 2015 at 7:16 AM #

This is SO my kind of wedding/celebration!!! Big weddings frighten me and sounds much too daunting. They take away from the center of the entire thing. What a blast and congratulations!!

Also, that cinnamon roll.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 28, 2015 at 8:53 PM #

Yes!! Absolutely!! Big wedding sound like a nightmare!! πŸ™‚ I told you we got cinnamon rolls!! I actually wanted to get another one a couple days ago!! Maybe soon! πŸ˜‰

21. Jonathan94002 April 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM #

Congratulations, Leslie!!

22. Kristen April 28, 2015 at 11:37 AM #

LESLIE!!!! This is amazing!!! Congratulations!!! Wow, you really ARE good at keeping a surprise. I would have been a mess keeping something like that a secret. How special. You and Dan will forever be able to look back and remember your perfect wedding day. I love when couples make the wedding day about them and don’t fall into norms or the expectations of others. Perfect perfect perfect!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 28, 2015 at 8:51 PM #

Thanks Kristen!! It was so hard to keep the secret. Definitely harder than I thought it would be!! πŸ™‚

23. FitnessFatale April 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM #

YAY!!!! So happy for you! You are absolutely glowing in all of the photos – you look so incredibly happy!

I had a big weekend and loved it but totally respect those who have small ones – yours is just the way I would have planned a small wedding as well! Enjoy your newlywed bliss!!!!

24. Kristen L April 29, 2015 at 10:38 AM #

Looks like it was absolutely PERFECT Leslie! Congratulations again to you and Dan!

25. erin April 30, 2015 at 4:08 PM #

I love this so much, Leslie! Thrilled for you and Dan! Congrats! This is totally what I want to do… low-key with only our closest friends and not of the frilly crap no one remembers anyway πŸ™‚

26. Kristina May 6, 2015 at 6:58 AM #

Congratulations! How fun for both of you! And what great way to surprise and celebrate with friends.
    I had a smaller wedding that was also planned fairly quickly. We were traveling in Ecuador together and decided to get married as soon as we got back to the States, 3 weeks later. It was kind of crazy but so much fun! I didn’t want to plan a wedding for months and months – it would have driven me bonkers.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 9, 2015 at 9:46 PM #

Thanks Kristina!! I can’t even imagine planning a wedding for a year or year and a half like a lot of people!! πŸ™‚