Victoria Training Week 5

30 Apr

Again the week has gotten away from me. I am exhausted as usual. But I am seeing the light. My job training is over tomorrow! Next week I will only be physically tired not so much mentally tired!

I was on recovery week last week so that was good. It was kind of a funny recovery week. I am used to cutting down the volume. Which I did but this plan that I am loosely following has me doing long runs or harder runs during the recovery weeks! This is a more “bike” focused plan and that is probably why! No biggie!!

Sunday: Day after the wedding. Rest day! We went to Multnomah Falls with my family!

The newlyweds!

The newlyweds!

If you look close enough you can see my dad, bro, and SIL on the left side of the bridge above us!

Monday: am: 2000 easy swim…I did some 100s that weren’t as fast as they should have been. I thought it is recovery week. Who cares!?

pm: spin class + 25 minute core/glute strength/stretches

15 mile bike commute

Tuesday: Slept in!

pm: 7 mile tempo run! It was windy. I was in a 20mph headwind on my bike commute home so I strategically mapped out our run so the majority of the headwind was at the beginning of the run! πŸ™‚

15 mile bike commute

Wednesday: am: 1600 easy swim…Again not awesome. I was swimming next to a guy that was swimming my same speed and taking almost no breaks. It was so annoying. I would work hard to pass him. I would take a break and he would get in front of me again. It.was.annoying! Not that I am making excuses but just not feeling it again today!

15 mile bike commute

Thursday: Slept in again!

pm: 5 mile run. Track work out. 3 x 1 mile repeats. The weather was cool. I think that it started to rain but not bad! I am excited to make some improvements in my speed now that I am doing speed work again.

15 mile bike commute

Friday: REST DAY!!

Saturday: 2:20 trainer ride/4 mile run BRICK

I am having a hard time getting used to being in aero all the time. I know that it is going to take some time but it is hard!! I also still don’t have my power tap wheels on the new bike. I have nothing to go off. This wasn’t a super hard work out but more keeping in aero and staying positive!
image
This week my hair isn’t as out of control because it was really dirty! πŸ˜‰

The run was great!

I have been doing all my glute/hip stretches/strength exercises every day but I have gotten out of habit of doing strength work outs. I blame it on work! Hoping to get back into it next week!!

How did you get used to your tri/TT bike?
How is your training going?

13 Responses to “Victoria Training Week 5”

1. Kecia May 1, 2015 at 6:40 AM #

Awesome recovery week chica!! It took me quite a while to get use to my TT bike position. The Iron Hippie and our friend, Allen, are both experiencing this very thing right now as they rode their TT bikes outside for the first time on Wednesday. The hardest part for me is wearing my helmet in this position as the added weight on my head strains my neck for the first many rides πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM #

I think that it is just going to take time and that is what I am worried about!! I will just continue to train on it and hope for the best! I did get a 2nd fit(re-fit) and she changed some stuff around and I already think that it is better! πŸ™‚

• Kecia May 4, 2015 at 4:36 AM #

Yay!! Keep hoping for the best πŸ˜‰

2. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life May 1, 2015 at 7:08 AM #

Sounds like a good, solid recovery week Leslie! How do you like swimming in the morning during the week? I have always stayed away from this because of all the related logistics of having to get ready for work at the pool, bringing breakfast with me (as well as the lunch that I already pack for everyday), etc, etc. I seem to remember from one of your other posts that you leave for work directly from the pool. How is all that for you?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 3, 2015 at 8:42 PM #

I like swimming in the morning!! It is super annoying to have to pack all of my stuff but it has been working out pretty good! I pretty much just get dressed and then I get ready once I get to work!! I don’t do much to get ready that is probably why it works so well for me! πŸ˜‰

3. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com May 1, 2015 at 7:46 AM #

Love the sweaty selfie! Seems like a great recovery week. Can’t help you much with the bike situation and I’m not training for anything exercise related, sooooo…. my 2 cents, I think the hip/glute exercises are more important than the strength exercises -not that its not important, but if you had to chose. Thats, all! Happy Friday!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 3, 2015 at 8:39 PM #

Oh yeah I think that the hip and glute exercises has helped a ton! I definitely will continue on with those! There just isn’t enough time in the day!! πŸ˜‰

4. Kristin (@SweatCourage) May 1, 2015 at 1:14 PM #

I couldn’t help but laugh about the guy you were sharing the lane with… I would have been just as annoyed!! Also, is it just me, or are men always trying to race in the pool when you are sharing a lane? What is with that? I might start bike commuting and it will be 15 miles round trip… do you find this hurts your training at all? I figure the mileage is low enough not to make a huge impact ,but wanted to get your opinion!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 3, 2015 at 8:36 PM #

Most of the guys that I share a lane with are faster than me so it is no biggie usually! πŸ˜‰
      Some days I think the bike commuting helps my training so days I think it hurts it! It is the logistics that is the worst part!! It probably has no impact but who knows!! Try it out and see what you think! You can always drive some days and bike some days!

5. Change of Pace May 2, 2015 at 6:38 AM #

Doesn’t sound like a cutback week to me; you still did a ton!
    I think it’s awesome you’re still doing your hip and glute exercises even if you don’t have the time to do strength.
    I never got used to my tri bike, which is why I only used it for one of my four Ironmans!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 3, 2015 at 8:31 PM #

BUT I would have done more!! πŸ™‚
      I am afraid of not being able to get used to my tri bike. It has gotten better after the 2nd fit!! πŸ™‚

6. erin May 6, 2015 at 4:50 AM #

Give it some time… it takes a bit to adjust to aero. I alternate a lot between aero and the drops on the trainer because I can’t breathe as well in aero inside for some reason. Keep at it! Great recovery week, too! Send me some of your hip / glute strength motivation! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 9, 2015 at 9:47 PM #

Thanks!! I got a re-fit and I am hoping that will help. I am going for a long ride tomorrow! WE will see what happens! πŸ™‚