Another Attempt! RNR Portland Re-Cap

19 May

image
Sunday was the 4th running of RNR Portland! At the beginning of the year I was pumped to train hard and PR this race. My PR is from the 2013 race.  The unexpected break in training due to my IT Band did not help!  I got in some quality runs and track work outs in the last couple of weeks but I still fell short of a PR by about a minute. That has been my racing life for the 3rd race in a row!!

I didn’t really have a plan or any goals.  I was hoping for a sub 2:10. The course has always been hilly. They did change the course this year. Not sure why. There were still hills and a few big ones. I “think” they have had problems with traffic and trains so they wanted it to accommodate everyone.

I did want to negative split it as best as I could.  That is always the goal, right?! 😉

The new course, in my opinion, was harder than the last course.  I haven’t talked to anyone that raced Sunday who has also done the other course. This course does go through a lot of neighborhoods. The weather was nice and a lot of people were out cheering! That was definitely a highlight.

I don’t really have much to report. My race was good. I ran pretty steadily the entire time.  I felt really good and that is what I cared about!! I did have fun!! I never wanted to quit. I kept up the mental toughness. It wasn’t pouring rain! It was a great day!

I was looking at my watch a little at the beginning and middle.  I got to mile 10 at 1:37(faster than I thought it would be). I thought I had about 29 minutes to hit the PR. I thought it was definitely do-able. I went for it and I was close: 2:07:30. My PR was 2:06:23.  I finished and found Dan waiting for me.
image

I finished with a 13.36 miles on my Garmin. I usually go over the 13.1 by a little but by a quarter of a mile?  The talk over the twitterspere was the course was long! Bam! I would have PR’d! Not every race is perfect or a PR! I will try again in the fall!!
image
Obviously was not going for a sub 2! Sad I know!!

Portugal The Man
image
We hung out listen to some music and stretched!

I am eyeing RNR Vancouver in October! Who wants to join me?

17 Responses to “Another Attempt! RNR Portland Re-Cap”

1. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com May 20, 2015 at 4:24 AM #

Dumb long courses! Getting that close to your current PR is great, but I can understand your frustration. It’s like your so close, yet so far… even though you’re really close, you just have to wait so long to try again. At least that’s how my mind thinks of it, haha. Glad you had a good time though and didn’t curse every mile. Happy Hump Day!

2. Kecia May 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM #

I hate it when a race changes the course. That happened to us a few years ago with the Drake 1/2 Marathon. The new course is WAY too industrial and I am NOT a fan. I run it every year because it is close to home, it is hilly (good challenge) and it is early in the season so I can test myself early in the season. I’m glad you had fun!!

3. Luv What You Do May 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM #

Way to go!
    I love running the same race over and over. It’s fun to shoot for that PR. I’m so sad that I won’t be running my 5th time in the Soldier Field this weekend : (

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM #

I know! that is why I was so sad they changed the course!
      What happened? No time to train?! I thought you were going to do it?!

• Luv What You Do May 22, 2015 at 7:16 PM #

I’ve been sick for over two weeks and lost a big chuck of time. As I sat down to plan training, I realized that I just won’t be able to fit it all in and I didn’t want to rush around every weekend trying to fit in long rides. BUMMER!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 23, 2015 at 9:52 PM #

Super bummer!! ;(

• Luv What You Do May 25, 2015 at 4:34 PM #

I know…but now that I made the decision I feel good about it!

4. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life May 21, 2015 at 9:38 AM #

It is great that you enjoyed the race and felt good! You will get that new PR soon!

5. Single-Tracked Mind May 21, 2015 at 3:37 PM #

Woohoo! Glad you had a good race. they can’t all be PRs!!!

6. FitnessFatale May 25, 2015 at 2:19 PM #

I love RnR races – so fun! Congrats on the finish!

7. Change of Pace May 28, 2015 at 6:03 AM #

Super close to your PR- way to go!! The shirts look nice, too, which is always a bonus 🙂 Oooh…I’m tempted to say yes to the RnR Vancouver!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Victoria Training Weeks 8&9 | Triathlete Treats - May 27, 2015

[…] Portland RNR was great too. I have had a few other runs with miles as transitions runs and a part of a brick. […]