Victoria Training Weeks 8&9

27 May

All I can say is…where did May go?! Anyone else? It is currently the 27th and 3 weeks until go time!

I promised myself after the last weekly recap that I would actually do a weekly recap and not a bimonthly recap! What the heck happened?!

Swimming yards in the last 2 weeks: 15,400!

Most of my swims have been good. I have gotten a bunch of ideas for work-outs at Triathlete Magazine. Since the race is getting closer I have been doing some up and downs. Working on going out fast and slowing to a more manageable pace. Just like you would do in a race!! 🙂

First open water swim was last weekend. It went well. Faster than I thought which was good especially because I had done a long brick about an hour before! Bam!

Looking forward to the Hagg Lake swim “race” this weekend. I am doing the 2000m which will be so short since I have done the 4000m the last couple of years!!
Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 3.27.32 PM

Biking miles in the last 2 weeks: 263!

I had 2 50+ mile rides with over 4000ft of climbing. Both went well. I am getting more comfortable on my tri bike!! I had a couple really great interval sessions too. (including 1 with 16x1min zone 5 intervals—>hard!!!)

I am still averaging 60 miles on my commuter bike a week! Which is good and bad. I always feel like I am battling the wind! Whats new?!

Looking forward to one more big effort on the bike this weekend.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 3.31.20 PM

Running miles in the last 2 weeks: 36.6!

There is nothing like a 12 mile run in the rain after work on a Monday night!! I had it on the schedule for Saturday but I was working for Nuun Saturday morning and the one day that it was getting up into the 80s was the day I needed to run in the afternoon. I pushed it to the Monday afterwards and was happy that I did. The run went really well and Dan had dinner ready for me when I got home!!

Portland RNR was great too. I have had a few other runs with miles as transitions runs and a part of a brick.

Looking forward to one more long run and a brick this weekend!

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 4.50.39 PM

My training has been coming along. We will see where the race gods are on June 14th. I have been reading past race reports (there are not that many out there) and everything that I read is this is an awesome venue!! Clear swim, rolling hills on the bike, and a shaded trail along the water to run on!! Sounds marvelous! Getting more excited as the days go on! #18daycountdown

How is your training going?! Anyone racing soon?!

22 Responses to “Victoria Training Weeks 8&9”

1. dzimmermann68 May 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM #

Just keep moving forward! Good luck on your upcoming 70.3. I will be racing Augusta 70.3 in September.

2. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com May 28, 2015 at 5:39 AM #

Seems like solid training! Love the Snoopy and Woodstock Tri version. Not that’s what I’m talking about! I always find I’m riding into the wind too, go figure. It’s good that the run is shaded, I’m sure that will help a lot 🙂 Getting excited for you!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM #

Yes!! I always seem to pick the hot 70.3s so we will see if it is cool enough!! But not WINDY!! 😉

3. Brittany May 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM #

It’s almost time!

4. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete May 28, 2015 at 7:24 AM #

Nice block of training!! Can’t believe how time is flying and that you only have 3 weeks to go. I’m sure Victoria is going to be so gorgeous, and am not surprised to hear that the race reports out there say the same. Keep up the great work!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM #

Thanks!! Time is flying by!! I have never been to Victoria so looking forward to seeing the island via bike!! 🙂

5. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life May 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM #

It sounds like you have had a couple of really great weeks! Woo hoo!! It’s great that we had a similar experience with our first OWS of the season!

The description of your upcoming race sounds nice! It seems you selected well! Enjoy the fast bit of training before it is taper time!!! Raleigh 70.3 is Sunday for me!!

6. Kristen May 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM #

Getting very excited for you, Leslie. It seems like your training has been going really well. How about this nice weather, eh? Great for long bike rides and open water swims! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the Victoria course and see how you do… it will surely be on my list next year.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 28, 2015 at 8:02 PM #

Thanks Kristen!! I am getting excited too! I hope it goes well and I want to go back next year!! 🙂

7. Kecia May 28, 2015 at 6:00 PM #

So glad you are adjusting to your tri bike!! I can’t wait to see how Victoria goes for you!! We will be racing the Legend 100 on June 7 and then an Olympic distance tri on June 14, so it will be a couple of fun weeks coming up for the both of us!! 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 28, 2015 at 8:05 PM #

It is definitely going to be a fun few weeks!! I am doing an olympic the weekend before Victoria!! Can’t wait for your Legend 100 race! That is going to be a great tune up for Boulder!!

• Kecia May 29, 2015 at 4:14 AM #

Olympic races are so fun!! Exciting!! The Legend 100 should be a great tune up

8. Change of Pace May 29, 2015 at 1:46 PM #

Whoa that came up quickly! It sounds like you are totally ready. Glad the tri bike is getting more comfortable!
    My sister in law did Victoria last year. She said it was a fast course!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 31, 2015 at 4:21 PM #

I know right!! I can’t believe June is tomorrow!! I am super excited for Victoria! I am hoping I will love the race too so I can go back next year!! 🙂

9. Brittany May 30, 2015 at 3:45 PM #

Wow, what great volume in the last couple of weeks! I can’t wait to see pictures, sounds like a great race – so exciting!

10. Luv What You Do May 30, 2015 at 7:19 PM #

Love all of your inspiring posts! It was super rainy and I got in a track run today, which was nice.