Blue Lake Tri 2015: Race Recap

10 Jun

I am going to try to make this short and sweet. Blue Lake is one of my favorite triathlon races. I like to “race” it every year. I wasn’t sure if I was going to do it this year because Victoria is only 7 days after. But I figured I had to do a brick anyway so I mine as well get another OW swim in!!

We got out to Blue Lake at about 7. Picked up my packet and put my stickers on. Body marked. Set up my transition. Made my way down to the lake at about 7:40. The water was perfect temp. One of the rare days I wish I had a short sleeve wetsuit. I waded in the water a bit and got in a short warm up.

image

8:12:Swim: (goal: 25-26min; actual 27:08)my wave was off. There couldn’t have been more than 20 of us and it was women 35-44. The swim was most difficult because a huge chunk of it was directly into the sun! It was difficult to sight. Usually we don’t have to worry about the sun in our eyes. I am not sure that any of the Blue Lake races I have done the sun has ever come out!! 😉 I got out of the water about a minute slower than I thought was possible. Well Shit!

T1:(goal 2:30; actual 2:39) was decent. I didn’t have the good spot that I had last year. It was pretty quick though.

Bike: (goal 1:10-1:12min; actual 1:14) The bike was good. I didn’t want to get crazy. I needed to be cautious about 2 things: 1) I want to actually be able to “race” next weekend. 2) I knew it was going to be HOT on the run. I really wanted to have a good run. I knew I had to save my legs!! I basically went on feel for the entire ride. I never went into my big ring which I usually do. I kept my cadence higher than I usually do. My nutrition was right on. I could have used another half a bottle of something. Water, Nuun, something cold!! I am pretty sure that did not hurt my race.

T2: (goal 1:30; actual 1:20) my only goal met! 🙂

Run: (goal 58:00; actual 1:00) The run was mentally tough. I stayed positive and happy. I smiled and waved to friends. I saw Devin, Jon, and Nik (they were at about 5 miles) and looked miserable! I thought I am in trouble. I was only at probably 1.5 miles. It was a different course than last year. There was ZERO shade. It was rolling hills unlike the flat course it used to be. It was hot and they needed more aid stations. I envied all of the competitors that had carried water bottles. I stayed in the moment and just prayed it is not this hot in Victoria!! Finished with a smile on my face and happy to be done!

Overall it was a good race! It was fun! Good tune up for next weekend! I ended up 3rd in my age group. I joked all the fast people stayed home! It is funny because I was about 5 minutes slower than last year and about 7 minutes slower than my PR. It is all about who shows up I guess!!

I had a a bunch of friends place. Jon placed 3rd and Sue place 2nd in their division.
image

image

Victoria is T minus 4 days! The forecast is looking good! Now to pack!!

22 Responses to “Blue Lake Tri 2015: Race Recap”

1. MoM June 10, 2015 at 10:06 PM #

You are ready! You will do great! And have FUN!

2. Kecia June 11, 2015 at 5:29 AM #

Congratulations on your podium finish!! It is all about who shows up on race day 😉 You are so ready for this weekend!! I can’t wait to hear how it goes!! I’ll be sending you strong vibes 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 11, 2015 at 2:01 PM #

It absolutely is!!!! 🙂 Yes…send speedy vibes as well!! I think you are doing an oly this weekend right?? have fun!!

• Kecia June 11, 2015 at 2:41 PM #

We are planning on it 😉

3. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete June 11, 2015 at 8:12 AM #

Ahh! Good luck this weekend in Victoria! I will be thinking of you and sending you speedy vibes. Way to go on your race at Blue Lake… that bike split totally crushed your goal and a podium too! 🙂

4. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life June 11, 2015 at 9:53 AM #

Yay for third place! You are ready for your 70.3 this weekend! Best of luck even though I know you are going to do great!

5. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com June 12, 2015 at 7:09 AM #

Congrats on your 3rd place. Way to blow your run goal outta the water! Super good luck in Victoria- and like I always say, don’t forget to have fun!!!

6. Kristen June 12, 2015 at 8:24 AM #

Nice work, Leslie! Although you did not meet some of your goals, you were still within reach. I’m guessing that in the back of your mind you were thinking about your 70.3 race and playing it safe (not to go overboard). The heat always plays a role as well… and WOW has it been hot lately. Way to finish 3rd in your AG. A good way to start the season and prepare for Victoria! Go get em’ 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2015 at 6:18 PM #

Thanks Kristen!! Yes absolutely this weekend and the heat were huge factors in last weekend but some how managed the 3rd in my AG!! 🙂

7. Brittany June 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM #

That’s great! You are going to do so well on your 70.3! Can’t wait to hear about it!

8. Brittany June 12, 2015 at 5:28 PM #

What a cool medal!! Great job, and Victoria here you come!

9. erin June 21, 2015 at 7:32 AM #

Whoop! Congrats on the podium, Leslie! Sounds like a fun race!

10. Change of Pace June 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM #

Congratulations on another great race! Although you were off from your best times, I’m sure you had more in the tank that you were saving for Victoria! And way to go on the podium finish!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 23, 2015 at 9:08 PM #

Thanks Abby!! It was fun! I was definitely saving some for Victoria! I can’t believe how “hot” it was!! 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Blue Lake Triathlon 2016 | Triathlete Treats - June 25, 2016

[…] all thought it was going to be warm in 2015. Which is was and it was going to be hotter than it was last year. Ugh!!  We got to the lake it […]