Victoria 70.3 2015 Race Report

26 Jun

I bet you never thought I was going to write this! Every night I think about writing it! I had to binge watch Orange Is The New Black first and foremost. It was amazing.

On to Victoria! June 14, 2015.

3:20am. YES! You read that right! With a 6am start time you have to get up early! It was early! But worth it to be done by noon!

Regular pre-race. Breakfast. Shuttle. Body-marking. We got to transition way too early. But the time went fast.
image
Swim: (goal <36mins; actual 35:38) I had a quick warm up before they called everyone out of the water. The water was the perfect temperature. It was warmer in the water than the air temp.

My wave got swimming at 6:15. Pretty good start. The course was 1 loop rectangle. The buoys came quick. I was sighting pretty well. Once we started back toward the beach the sun was in our eyes. It definitely wasn’t as bad as Blue Lake but it was not easy. I got off track between the 2/3 buoys. Not sure what had happened. I felt relatively good. I didn’t think it was that fast but I got out of the water in 34:xx. I was pumped. The mat was up by transition instead of by the lake so the run to transition was “apart of” the swim instead of transition.
IMG_4550
Overall I was happy with my swim and faster than I thought!

T1: (1:59) Quick and painless!

Bike: (goal 3:10; actual 2:58) The bike was rolling. Super fun. Mostly shady. I loved this bike. It is definitely my type of ride. No big climbs. You are either going up or you are going down for the most part. There was 4 aid stations which was a bonus. (There are usually 3 on 56 miles.) My only complaint was there were a couple of stretches of crap road. IMG_4552
The new bike drafting rules are ludicrous! On a looped bike course there is inevitable drafting and I don’t mean on purpose drafting. I didn’t see much of that. I don’t think that there were as many marshals out as usually because there were no pros at this race.
I went out harder than I wanted to but I really wanted a good bike split. I pushed it early and after the first loop I thought I was probably in trouble with a 1:28 split. I kept pushing though and had a fun second loop too with only a 2 minute difference.
Overall ecstatic about my bike split!

T2: (1:29) Quick and easy. I did stop for sunscreen. I usually have my own spray but I thought it was going to be more overcast. I left transition in ~3:37. I was like really….I couldn’t really believe it. I honestly thought there was zero chance of a PR until I got to this point. I had 2:22 to PR…BUT I had not started to run yet! πŸ™‚

Run: (goal <2:20; actual 2:17) I wouldn’t say this was flat. Not super hard either. It was 2 loops. It was a nice trail. Aid stations were pretty good. A lot of shade. This was huge!! I started out conservatively. I had plenty of time. I was smiling and positive! People were blowing past me and I didn’t care. (I usually don’t) I thought we will see how the first loop goes!!
IMG_4537
This was after the first loop. I had run a 1:08. I could see the PR now. All I could keep saying in my head was “keep it together for 6.5 more miles…keep it together for 6.5 more miles…don’t f*ck it up”…over and over! I steadily ran. The kilometers were going by much faster this loop than they did on the first loop. I was passing people now. All the fast people were gone and finished! It was hot in the sun. I felt like I was going faster but in reality wasn’t!!

With a 3 second negative split run I had kept it together for an epic 70.3 race.
11426330_1180173742008745_6581934740639894420_o
I was leaving Canada with a 4 minute PR! What? What?
IMG_4549

Final time: 5:55:12

The second best part of the entire day was the ice cream cookie sandwich that I got post-race. It was so delicious. It was gigantic. I even shared with Dan. Which almost never happens. πŸ˜‰ The saddest part of the day was I couldn’t even finish it!!!
IMG_4534

31 Responses to “Victoria 70.3 2015 Race Report”

1. MoM June 26, 2015 at 10:26 PM #

Your photographer got some great shots especially at the finish line!! Great race!

2. Joann June 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM #

Woot woot!!! What a great race re-cap !! Congrats on a PR and a good race!!! Can’t believe you couldn’t finish your ice cream Sammy!!! Lol πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 28, 2015 at 6:53 PM #

Thanks Joann! It was super fun!! That picture doesn’t even give that sammy justice. It was gigantic!! πŸ˜‰

3. Laurie Weinsoft June 27, 2015 at 7:40 AM #

As always you are an amazing racer and very funny. I love the ice cream cookie treat after each race and run. I love Dan’s favorite line lately when I mention anything having to do with dessert, “mom, you know who I am married to!” I think he just likes to remind me he he married the dessert queen. See you soon Wonder Woman.

4. Brittany June 27, 2015 at 1:46 PM #

Congrats on a killer race! You crushed your times πŸ™‚ I love the pictures – you can tell how happy you are. And that ice cream sandwich – I feel a pregnancy craving coming on πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 28, 2015 at 6:04 PM #

Thanks Brittany!! It was super fun! Love ice cream sandwiches!! If I were pregnant I would probably eat one every day!! πŸ™‚

5. Kecia June 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM #

So proud of you for KILLING this race!! Your photos are priceless and show just how happy you are πŸ™‚ I really wish I wasn’t lactose intolerant, because that ice cream sandwich looks AMAZING!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 28, 2015 at 6:03 PM #

Thanks Kecia!!! It was an awesome race!!! πŸ™‚ I am so sorry you are lactose intolerant! 😦

6. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com June 29, 2015 at 4:44 AM #

You are so amazing! Super congrats on the PR, girl! I love the “don’t f it up!” haha, something I’d totally say. Your pics are awesome. The only thing I’m disappointed in is your DNF on the ice cream cookie sammie πŸ˜‰

7. Jenny Emmerich June 29, 2015 at 8:32 AM #

Hi Leslie!!
    I love catching up on your madness and excited you had such a great race! Wish I were able to join you (and keep up…) but will settle for following from Wisconsin for now.
    Take care and hope you are having a nice summer!

8. Kristen June 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM #

About time, Leslie! πŸ˜‰ I understand though. OITNB is pretty addicting. We have ONE episode left…. tonight tonight.

Awesome work, lady!!! I love the picture of you exiting the swim. You look like you are ready to strip and crush the bike! The bike course sounds very similar to the Lake Stevens course… rolling hills and up and down at all times. I’ve heard the bike course is beautiful. Glad you confirmed this. And, the picture of you wearing your medal is pretty awesome. Love the smile and show of emotion! Sounds like it was a great course and one I should definitely visit next year…

What was your favorite thing about the course? Least favorite thing? Was the run course difficult?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 30, 2015 at 8:31 PM #

Thanks Kristen!! My favorite thing about the course was probably the swim! I love 1 loop 2000m swims! The lake is awesome!! I loved the bike too. Definitely my kind of course! The run was not difficult. It was nice because it was trail and a lot of shade!! You should definitely think about this course next year!! I am debating on going back!! πŸ™‚

9. Kristen L July 1, 2015 at 9:43 AM #

CONGRATS on such a badass race performance! You look so strong in all your mid-race photos. Definitely seems like a good course, and one I should look into in the future. I’m thinking maybe next year should be the year of the 70.3, and then 2017 a 140.6?!

Great way to celebrate with that incredible ice cream cookie sandwich!! Those are the best!

10. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life July 2, 2015 at 6:50 AM #

Fun report Leslie and super happy for you and your PR. That swim time was amazing and you looked like a woman on a mission in that picture coming out of the water. That had to have given you a huge boost and momentum for the rest of the race. It sounds like a great course with lots of shade (wish I could have had that) and you really took advantage of it playing to your strengths/preferences. High five to you!!!

We finished the Orange season pretty quickly too! It just sucks you in!

11. bayrunnerjamie July 2, 2015 at 9:47 PM #

Yeah PR!!! Amazing!! I always love reading your reviews, and your pictures are the BEST-you make it look so fun! Congratulations!!!

12. Luv What You Do July 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM #

So fun to finally take the time to read your re cap! Congrats on the PR!!!

13. Kara July 8, 2015 at 10:24 PM #

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I was so happy to read this πŸ™‚ you continue to inspire me with every post!

14. Change of Pace July 10, 2015 at 1:06 PM #

Wow- amazing race!! Congratulations, Leslie!! That’s so awesome you beat your goal times in all three disciplines, AND PRed like that!
    Way to bike πŸ™‚

15. erin July 15, 2015 at 5:05 AM #

Stellar race, Leslie! Huge congrats on your smokin’ PR! Loooooove all the photos… you are radiating! And, that ice cream sandwich… drooling! Perfect post-race treat πŸ™‚

16. Kimberly@ Healthy Strides July 16, 2015 at 12:03 PM #

I’ve been saving this post for when I could have time to read it AND respond. Congratulations on an EPIC race. You nailed it, lady. And that reward looks ridic πŸ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Summer of not training for anything BIG! | Triathlete Treats - July 18, 2015

[…] had almost nothing on the schedule after Victoria. I have Hood To Coast at the end of August and RNR Vancouver 1/2 marathon. I really wanted to do […]