Rolf Prima OLY Race Report

6 Aug

Well since I am the worst blogger on earth. Here is my race report from my race that was 12 days ago. πŸ™‚
Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 8.25.28 PM

Dan and I headed down to Cottage Groove (~100miles south of Portland) Friday evening and set up camp at about 9:30. We hit the sleeping bags pretty quick after that for an early morning wake up call.

Saturday morning. All the regular before race stuff. Dan was doing the sprint and it started at 8. I did the olympic and it didn’t start until 8:30 or so.
Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 10.11.39 PM
Gotta love small races. Check in was easy. Set up was easy! Short portie potty line!
Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 10.13.05 PM

I have a problem pumping up my tires because of my wheels. It is kind of a problem but I thought there would be a mechanic there and they can always fix it. Well there wasn’t one so I was going to suffer with low pressure. I don’t think it was awful but what if the pressure had been better! Who knows! Really the only bad thing about a small race!

Dan went down to the start. I finished up getting my wetsuit on and chatted with Heather.
IMG_4619
We cruised down to the water and the first sprint guys were coming out of the water. Who stops right next to me…Jesse Thomas…and asked if he was going to win. (I thought he was supposed to be racing) We chatted for a bit and Lauren (Fleshman) and their son came over and we chatted for a bit longer then it was time to go swim.

Swim! (28:08) It was a little chopping. It wasn’t as big of a deal as it “looked!” but all in all it was a pretty good swim. I tried to do some drafting and pushing hard at the end. I came out of the water about 27:30 but you have to run up the ramp to transition so that added time.

T1! (1:24) Fast! Another benefit of a small race!

Bike! (1:15) I wanted to push hard and that is what I did. Heather passed me at about 3.5miles and we leap frogged and talked for the bulk of the ride. It was fun. Flat to mild rollers. I loved the course. The weather was perfect. It was cool and cloudy exactly how I like it on race day!! I had just gotten a new Garmin and had not set it up! #rookiemistake #stupid I really had no idea how to gauge how I was doing on the ride. But I thought this is just for fun!! Again a little slower than I would have liked but felt good.

T2! (:56) I saw Dan cause he had already finished! Fast!! It would have been faster but I couldn’t find my place in transition. Not sure what I was doing! πŸ˜‰

Run! (59:39) It was still cool outside. I was pushing it from the beginning. It was hard. It was flat. I was using up a lot of mental strength on that one! Maybe I had biked too hard or was running too hard right off the bat.
IMG_4638
I was cheering on everyone in front of me and then everyone in back of me after the turn around. I had a really fun time but it was hard!! Right about mile 4 I got a side stitch and i slowed down. I walked for about 10 seconds and then I walked through the aid station at mile 4.5. It felt better after that! At about 5.5 maybe you can see the finish line. Maybe closer than that because I think I saw 56 mins on my watch and really wanted to come in sub 1hr! I pushed and made it!!!

Another reason to do small races. The race director says everyone names as they come across the finish! They had lots of food, massage and a raffle.

I found Dan and Heather. We went to check results and Heather had placed 2nd in her AG and I had placed 3rd. WHOA!! Gotta love small races.
IMG_4632
IMG_4627

I won a Blue Seventy transition bag!! I am wondering how much it is worth and what I can sell it for!! πŸ˜‰ It is nice!!

We stayed for the awards! It was fun!!!
IMG_4621

Another race bites the dust!! I will definitely be back!! I am just afraid that it will probably be hot the next time!! Blair and the Best In The West Crew does an awesome job of putting on a great race!

We went into Eugene for lunch and dessert!! We made a big fire when we got back to camp. We ate dinner, played cards, and made s’mores!
image

Have you every camped before a race?

21 Responses to “Rolf Prima OLY Race Report”

1. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com August 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM #

What a fun race! Sorry about your tire 😦 So lucky you got to talk with Jessie and Lauren! I wish the Heather you were talking about was THIS one! Small races do have their perks. Congrats on the top AG award… smores were DEFINITELY the best way to celebrate!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 7, 2015 at 1:45 PM #

I defintely have to get a grip on how to inflate them!!!
      I know you have to come out here or we need to meet to do a race..one day when you can run again!! πŸ™‚
      S’mores are the best!!!

2. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete August 7, 2015 at 1:39 PM #

Sounds like a fun race!! And Jesse Thomas and Lauren Fleshman are my favorite couple. So cool. I also really am craving a ‘smore all of a sudden haha!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM #

They are so down to earth…regular people!! I didn’t mention the best part of the s’mores was a Reeces bar not just a Hersey’s bar!! πŸ™‚

3. Kecia August 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM #

AWESOME!! Congratulations on a great race…I’m sure you can find someone who would pay for the Blue Seventy Bag πŸ™‚ We have camped before the Lake Geode Olympic Triathlon…It was so much fun and that is where I qualified for the USAT Age Group Nationals. I am hopeful that we can do that race again this coming year and camp again πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM #

Thanks!!! Camping is more fun when doing an oly/sprint then a longer race!! πŸ™‚

• Kecia August 11, 2015 at 6:54 AM #

I agree!!

4. Kristen August 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM #

Way to finish 3rd in your AG! Obviously the bike issue did not interfere too much with your speedy race! I think when things don’t go as planned, it’s all about mindset and how you mentally deal with it. Sounds like you handled the low tire pressure quite well. I think talking to Jesse and Lauren before a race would totally fire me up. ☺

I haven’t camped before a race and don’t know how I would handle it. Definitely a different experience, no? Did you sleep well or were you sore before the race from sleeping on the ground?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM #

Thanks!!!!
      Definitely camping is a different experience!! One night before the race is usually ok! I have done WF a bunch of times and that is brutal!! We usually camp a few nights before the race. If you have a good camping mat/pad then you should be fine!! I actually slept pretty this time around! I also think it depends on the temp. It was perfect temp for sleeping outdoors. πŸ™‚

5. Kristen L August 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM #

Woo hoo! Nice job on 3rd in your AG!! So cool that you met Jesse and Lauren before the race too. That must have been an exciting way to start the day. πŸ™‚

Blair is such a nice guy, and does a great job with Best in the West. I’ll have to check out this race next year. Love a good small local race.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 10, 2015 at 9:11 PM #

Thanks!! I have met them a few times!! Love small races!!!
      Right Blair is awesome!! I wanted to do Best in the West again this year but I don’t think I am going to! 😦 You should definitely come do Rolf Prima next year!!! πŸ™‚

• Kristen L August 11, 2015 at 8:45 AM #

I am already getting so pumped for racing next year!! Maybe we’ll actually end up doing some of the same ones. πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM #

Yes!! That would be super fun!!

6. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life August 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM #

Fun outing! Even though it was a smaller race, you still had a good one! I have never camped for a race. If it were the right circumstances, I might consider it. Thumbs up on the Reece’s for the s’mores!!!!

7. Change of Pace August 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM #

Such a fun race!! Congratulations on your times and placement, too!
    And how cool you talked to Jesse, Lauren, and Jude!
    I love that you camped. What could be better than smores after a race?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM #

Thanks Abby! It was super fun!! Right the s’mores was the perfect treat for the occasion!

8. erin August 19, 2015 at 4:46 AM #

Great race, Leslie! Congrats! Love the rock podium πŸ™‚ And, those s’mores look amazing!

9. Brittany August 19, 2015 at 8:12 AM #

Camping before a race sounds like a BLAST! I’ve never done it, but I must!