August is in FULL Swing!

22 Aug

Some how it has gotten to be August 22. It has been a fun summer and I am definitely not happy to see the days dwindling down. Since my last post I have not been to the pool once. I have hung my swim suit, pull buoy, and paddles out to dry. I haven’t been on my Cervelo lately. I don’t have any real desire to go for a ride when I spending 60ish miles in the saddle commuting to work every week. But my run shoes have seen a ton of miles!

I have been gearing up for Hood To Coast which is next weekend. I am excited for my 5th installment of running this race. I have steadily been prepping for it for the last month. I am finally feeling “decent” when running in the heat. I have done quite a few doubles.

This is what I have been dealing with on my “evening” runs:
image

In fact I ran to work and home twice this week. I have to say that it was a nice break from the bike commuting. There was a fair bit of prep to be done though. I took clothes/lunches the day before so I would only have to run with my phone/keys. I actually wish I would have started doing this a while ago. I have been running than biking to work and home then dreading going for another run. It is much more time efficient to just run to work!! 🙂

I’ve had some great long runs with Ilana!!
image
I did an awesome long run on my own today. It was hilly and hard. My average pace was faster than any of my other runs this week! #gofigure

I met up with some Oiselle ladies for an easy run a few weeks ago. Of course their easy pace is my tempo pace. I actually wish we would get together more often. I know I would get faster just by doing that every week. Liz hosted a pancake breakfast afterwards which was super fun!
image

Dan hurt his back a few weeks ago so we have done a bunch of walking! We walked to Target the other night (and stopped at Ben & Jerry’s on the way)!
image
Totally ridiculous. My cone was as big as my head and it was melting like crazy!! #icecreamaddictproblems
But what really matters is that walking is almost harder than running. I guess because you are on your feet longer?!?!

The Tilikum Crossing is opening September 12th. #20daycountdown I can’t wait because that will cut about 2 miles off my commute!!! Can.NOT.Wait!!

They had a “preview” opening a couple of weekends ago. Everyone could ride their bike or walk across it. It was super fun and hot that day!!! It is a transit bridge only. Public transit, peds, and bikes. NO cars!!
image

Another August highlight is we canned last weekend!
image
We made 56 jars of salsa. (3 types) We made 18 jars of marinara sauce that we are going to freeze. Jamie didn’t have a good experience canning marinara sauce last year. I couldn’t find a recipe that didn’t have sugar. We had tomatoes for days so we decided to cook up a ton of sauce and forget the “canning” process. So much easier and faster but annoying to have to put in the freezer!

How’s your August shaping up?

14 Responses to “August is in FULL Swing!”

1. Kecia August 23, 2015 at 6:52 AM #

You’ve had an amazing August! I have been out of a routine and in a rut for most of August. Having been on vacation until about August 12 and then trying to get ready to go back to school. I am definitely looking forward to getting back into a routine…maybe that will happen by Sept 1 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM #

It has been fun!! I will be sad when summer is over! I am always in a rut after an IM. It is over and your body is tired!! Once school starts and you get in a routine again. I’m sure it will be better! 🙂

2. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com August 24, 2015 at 8:06 AM #

I remember you canning last year! SUPER JEALOUS of HTC. One day 🙂 And how awesome is that transit bridge?! Glad it’ll cut your commute! Also glad that you’ve had a great August! Wish I was home to make pancakes for brunch 🙂

3. De August 24, 2015 at 1:32 PM #

That salsa looks amazing!! I am going to be in Portland for a weekend in September any suggestions on good places to swim?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 24, 2015 at 8:59 PM #

Are you looking for open water? Clackamette Cove Or where bouts will you be? There are no good pools. It totally sucks!! There are a couple of good ones in the burbs that I can direct you to.

• De August 25, 2015 at 4:02 AM #

Preference would be open for sure! I will be downtown at the doubletree.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 25, 2015 at 10:00 PM #

If you are downtown you can totally swim in the Willamette (River). If you ask anyone who grew up here they would say don’t swim in the river but I didn’t grow up here and have swam in the river a zillion times. I would get in by Riverplace. You can ask the hotel for directions. Just South of the Hawthorne bridge. You can also go to Clackamette cove too!! Which is awesome but kind of a haul from downtown. Hagg lake is my favorite but about an hour away!!!

• De August 31, 2015 at 8:44 AM #

Thank you! Are there decent markers in the river? I have only really done lake swims our rivers are way too fast 🙂 also in case I need it is there a default pool you would suggest?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 31, 2015 at 7:54 PM #

You can use the bridges! Thats what I do! There is a 24hr fitness downtown and LA Fitness in the Pearl (just outside of downtown).

• De September 7, 2015 at 8:25 AM #

thank you!!! You have no idea how much this has helped 🙂 I race in Chicago on the 17th and was super worried about the last minute trip to Portland training wise.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 8, 2015 at 8:22 PM #

Great!! I am glad that I could help! Where did you end up swimming?!

• De September 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM #

I land this Friday so will be swimming this weekend!

4. Kristen L August 25, 2015 at 2:51 PM #

Sounds like things are going great! I’m so so jealous about HTC. Have SO much fun this weekend!!!
    Also, any favorite recipes for your sauce or salsa? I have a whole bunch of tomatoes (and some jalapenos) to use.