Pints To Pasta 10K Race Report!

27 Sep

#9 Pints to Pasta in the books!! I am going to try to make this short and sweet. It was a fun race but much different then years past!!

About 4 days before the race it came to my attention that the course had been modified. It was no longer downhill to flat with a few ups. Last years report had a good telling of the terrain. It was now flat with a few ups to long uphill with a few steep downhills to the end. Not exactly the fast and flat course it has been in the past. (more on this in a minute)

I find a few Oiselle birds to hang with while waiting for the shuttle. Now in years past there are what seem like 50 shuttles. This year we quickly found out there were literally only a few!! like 5!! for hundreds and hundreds of people to get across town!

Liz who went 6th Overall and Tammy 4th in her AG

Liz who went 6th Overall and Tammy 4th in her AG

We waiting over an hour for a shuttle. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of/seen at a race. This is a pretty big race and one that has been going on for 15 years or so. Not sure what they were doing with the shuttles this year. They pushed back the start a few times. But finally let the first pack go at about 7:50. We were on the shuttle at that time and saw them go. It was really weird and funny!!!

I was meeting Erica at the start line. She waited for me so we could run together!
IMG_4795
You can see the start line behind us with no one there. We walked to the start line and with a very anti-climatic start we went over the timing mat and started our Garmins! It was the weirdest start to any race I have ever run!!!

We ran and chatted and ran and chatted. It was some what fast. Erica had a baby about 10 weeks ago so this was her first race back!! She was just happy to be out there!! The sun was out and it was an awesome morning to be running!! I was happy to be running “fast.” I wasn’t looking at my watch. I wanted to run on feel. I had a hard running week because this wasn’t my big race. I am more focused on RNR Vancouver.

The long uphill I talked about before is part of the long downhill on the Shamrock run. We were talking about how we wished it was March and we were running down this stretch instead of up it!! πŸ™‚

Erica took off at about 4.5 miles. I tried to keep her in my sights. I started my music and just tried to keep the pace up. I saw Dan at about mile 6. Told him I hated the new course!
image
Finished with a big smile on my face. It was fun as usual especially running it with Erica!! But I hope they change the course back!!
IMG_4797

Met up with all the birds afterwards!!
image

Until next year OR MAYBE NOT!!
image

9 Responses to “Pints To Pasta 10K Race Report!”

1. Kecia September 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM #

Looks like loads of fun!! I hate it when they have a good/great course and then change it. They did that at the Drake 1/2 marathon here in Des Moines to showcase downtown. As a result, the new course is not near as scenic or enjoyable. Hopefully they change it back πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 27, 2015 at 9:34 PM #

It was fun!! I think they changed it because they added a half marathon. There are so many other halfs not sure why they thought they needed to add one!! I hope they change it back and the shuttles! So weird!!

2. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life September 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM #

It sounds like someone made a lot of changes when they already had a good thing going!!!! What’s up with that? Did you ever hear word of why they made these changes? It stinks that a race that you liked so much is now one you may not repeat not year. Can’t say I blame you because there are so many out there to choose from! Good luck with the last of your training for RNR.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 27, 2015 at 9:33 PM #

They added a half marathon to the race and I am pretty sure that is why they changed the course!! But like you said why would they change it. There are 10 other half marathons in the next 2 months!!
      Thanks! I am excited for RNR!!!

3. Erica Heagy September 27, 2015 at 4:14 PM #

So great to be out there with you!

4. Kristen September 29, 2015 at 5:51 AM #

I remember you writing about this race last year! It was one that I really wanted to do this year, but obviously that wasn’t happening. That’s a bummer that they changed the course to a less desirable route. Hopefully they will get some feedback from runners this year and change it back? What are the chances? I love that you are smiling in all of your pictures. You really are a happy runner! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 29, 2015 at 6:33 PM #

It is always a super fun one!!! I have no idea what they will do next year!! With all the trouble this year they would be smart to change it back but we will see!!! πŸ™‚

5. Heather September 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM #

Bummer about the course. It’ll be interesting to see what they do next year.Love that there are so many birds up there! I don’t think you’d ever find a race here with the many. Glad you still had fun though πŸ™‚