Next Year?! Already!!

30 Sep

I can’t believe tomorrow is October 1st!! My “fun” year really has flown by!! I am trying to make some decisions about next year but it literally changes every.single.day!  I thought I would definitely do another Ironman in 2016. Well then I wasn’t sure that I really wanted to do one.  Was my heart really in it or was I just doing one to do one?!

I originally wanted to do one because Dan was starting a MBA program and I thought he would be busy enough that I could keep myself busy by training for an IM.

(Quite a few months ago) It started with doing IM Chattanooga.  That idea went out the door about as quick as it came in the door. I like the idea of the down stream fast swim. But I don’t like the idea of 4 extra miles on the bike. Isn’t 112 long enough? I have some friends that are “seasoned” IM that did Chat last weekend and sounds like a pretty hard run.

(August–through the end of August) When Chat went out the door, the idea of doing Victoria 70.3 or C’DA 70.3 was a good one. I could be more serious next year, train hard, and see what I could do. Then Dan mentioned Boulder 70.3 which is the same weekend as Victoria. That got me seriously interested!!

I saw Jenny one night and I mentioned Boulder. She mentioned IM Cozumel! Man I was in trouble!! Could I be back on the IM train? A salt water swim doesn’t sound appealing though!

Well just about the time I was looking into Boulder, Jen did IM Copenhagen and posted her race report. I was definitely back on the Ironman train, followed IM Cope on FB, and told Dan we were going to Europe for a race-cation.

After a few days of that settling in I thought well maybe I should go back to just doing halfs next year and build up to IM Cope for 2017. YES that is what I was going to do. Back to Boulder!!

(Beginning of Sept) On a walk with Erica one day, she mentioned that Nik was thinking about IMAZ.  Well I probably shouldn’t talk to anyone about any races ever!!  Literally the next day, Dan was studying and he hadn’t even started school yet, I wanted to go out. He needed to study.

I DECLARED I was definitely doing an Ironman next year. BUT which one. I love the idea of AZ because I could potentially PR. Timing is OK. AS much as I would love to go to Phoenix in November, there is ZERO chance I can go to volunteer/sign up.  So that pretty much leaves Community Fund which has gone up drastically since the payment I made for Ironman Canada in 2009!

After Erin’s amazing race in Wisconsin, I thought about that race for about 5 seconds!! I have heard Madison is awesome. But I need a race that has less gain on the bike. I love rolling courses. But Wisconsin is a little more than I want to swallow for 2016.

I have now begun to think about a spring marathon. If indeed I decide that I want to do a late IM, a spring marathon could be on the table. Run all winter and when the weather gets nice go outside. Sounds amazing right?!  Flying Pig is on my radar!!

What is wrong with me?? I need a hobby that can get me through the off-season so I stop thinking about races!! 😉

I have to think what is totally realistic for me in 2016. BUT who really wants to do that!! The only thing that is set for 2016 is RNR AZ 1/2 marathon (always) and Ragnar Hawaii!! Yes, you read that right, an ultra relay on the big island! Which brings up another bit of “how am I going to use my PTO” next year.

I thought it would be pretty awesome to go to Kona early for IM championship the weekend before and then Ragnar Hawaii is the weekend after! Perfect timing right!! Well that would be a huge chunk of my PTO! Decisions decisions!! I hate to fly all the way to Hawaii for just a few days! But it could be a nice run block going into IMAZ. Just sayin’!!

Just talking out loud here!! I will keep you posted on what I finally decide on! What are your plans for next year?

21 Responses to “Next Year?! Already!!”

1. Joann October 1, 2015 at 1:14 AM #

Your post is soo freaking funny and I can totally relate!!!! Please come do IM Cozumel with us next year!!! It would be a blast!!!! 😃😃😃

Keep us posted of your 70.3, although I think I’m trying Victoria for next year!!!

Hugs!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:49 PM #

Dang!! I figured you were doing Coz…you are crazy!!! The struggle is real!!! I feel like I could swing toward CDA 70.3 (any interest?) and no IM. I don’t know. Not sure what is going to push me off the cliff!!! 🙂

2. racingoprah October 1, 2015 at 5:46 AM #

I’m cracking up reading your post, because it’s so similar to how my mind works! I’ve got a spring marathon on the calendar, and I’ve given in to fall brainstorming already! My bf is currently a full time grad student with a full time job, so I can relate on that aspect too.

Can’t wait to hear what you decide!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM #

OH yeah!!! I need to just sign up for something and not worry about what Dan is doing!! I am glad you are in the same boat as me. I will probably complain more about him being in school!! 🙂

3. Kristen October 1, 2015 at 9:04 AM #

Hahaha, I love this. You sound exactly like me, except I am trying to decide between races that are within driving distance (Canada, CdA). Have you thought about IM CdA (which has now been moved to August)? I am strongly leaning toward CdA 70.3 and Canada. I would love to do AZ but it is impossible without paying extra $$ or volunteering. Can’t wait to hear what you decide.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:53 PM #

I have done CdA. If it was still in June I would probably consider it but I don’t want to do the full in August. I think your plan is good!!! I am thinking about Cda 70.3. we will see!!

4. Kecia October 1, 2015 at 10:39 AM #

I absolutely love this because this is EXACTLY what I’ve been going through post IMBoulder. The only difference…yesterday morning at 6:30 am, my husband and I registered for IM Wisconsin. So much for taking a year off from Ironman next year. The only reason we chose this one is because it is close to home and we can go train on the course a couple of times during the summer months. We are not expecting a PR (but could be pleasantly surprised if it happens), since this is a more challenging bike course. I know you’ve crossed IMWI off your list for 2016, but I’m secretly hoping you change your mind so we can meet up in person 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM #

Shut up!!!! I can’t believe you guys signed up for IMWI!!! That is insanity!! I thought you weren’t going to do one next year!!! Maybe I should do WI!!! Dang!!! I should probably just sign up for something and stop thinking about it!! 🙂

• Kecia October 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM #

Yes, we said we were taking the year off, but we are addicted 😉 You should totally do WI!! It would be awesome to meet up in person!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM #

The peer pressure!!!!! I totally understand the addict-ness!!! 🙂

• Kecia October 5, 2015 at 1:59 PM #

😘

5. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete October 1, 2015 at 10:44 AM #

Hahaha, I love this too. I don’t have an IM on the agenda for next year, but I keep bouncing around with my plans (draft legal short course vs. a half IM), plus hitting refresh like a crazy lady on my email waiting to hear if I have a spot in the London Marathon. Those all sound like super fun options for you! Looking forward to hearing which you choose 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM #

You like short course stuff…why would you “want” to do a half next year?? OHH the London Marathon would be awesome!!!!

6. Heather October 2, 2015 at 5:12 AM #

Todd always says I need a hobby outside of running… I got nothing. My vote is Hawaii! Sure, you can’t stay as long as you want, but it’ll be awesome! I know you’ll keep us updated 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM #

Right!!! What could my hobby be?! The struggle is real!!! I am definitely going to Hawaii!! At least that is set!! 🙂

7. bayrunnerjamie October 2, 2015 at 2:05 PM #

I love this, there are too many options to think about!! I am eyeing RNR AZ next year as well (it’s my hometown) so maybe I will see you there!

8. Jen October 3, 2015 at 7:09 PM #

Ha! Love the insight here into a crazy triathlete’s mind. 😉

9. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life October 5, 2015 at 9:43 AM #

I can relate BIG time!!!! However, I am not ready for a second IM…even though two of my training buddies are planning to do their first in 2016 and I would have constant training partners…mentally I am not ready to tackle that training plan! The one race I had decided on was Chattanooga 70.3, but I procrastinated on registration and it sold out before I could register. I was so bummed. Still formulating my thoughts…..keep us posted on what decisions you make!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM #

Do you ever think you will be ready for a second IM?? 🙂 I didn’t know Chat was doing a 70.3 and that is such a bummer it sold out!!! agh!!!

10. Brittany October 7, 2015 at 1:38 PM #

I love this post bc my mind definitely works this way too! I can’t wait to see what you decide. I’m wondering the same things about my 2016 year. I can’t wait to race again, but have a lot of base building plus a baby to care for, but I really want to have something on the calendar! For me it is the question of Oly or Half.

11. Kristina October 8, 2015 at 1:14 AM #

Yes, yes and yes. Not to the “I want to do ALL the races” – there is really only ONE ironman-distance race that would be at all acceptable. It’s just the question of commitment – do I want to commit to the training or not. Oh, le sigh.
    Can’t wait to hear what you decide!