RNR Vancouver Race Weekend + RE-cap

29 Oct

Last weekend Dan and I went up to Vancouver BC. I had never been up there before. We had a super fun weekend filled with good food, sight seeing, and a half marathon.

Saturday: We had a leisurely morning. We did a 2.5 mile shake-out run. Nice and easy. We hit up the expo. It wasn’t too busy. Talked with some Nuun peeps and we were on our way!
IMG_4939
We did some walking and exploring on the seawall and waterfront. What a gorgeous city. So clean and fresh.
IMG_4943
IMG_4944

We talked about goals for the race. I REALLY wanted to PR. I felt like I had put in a lot of great miles in the last couple of months. I was working on my speed, doing hill repeats, and running my long runs faster. I felt good. I didn’t want to sit and wait around for the race to happen. We were in a gorgeous city with lots to see!

Goals: A: 2:05; B: sub 2:06:23(current PR); C: Enjoy the gorgeous scenery and have fun
I had decided that I was not going to look at my Garmin for the entirety of the race. I just wanted to run on feel and let Dan push me.

We had take out Chinese food at this tiny/popular/almost divey place. It was delicious and the perfect amount of carbs, protein, and salt!!! A little different from my usual pizza the night before a race.
IMG_4948

Sunday: RACE DAY: We woke up, ate breakfast, and walked around for far too long trying to find a coffee shop open. Both places we had googled the night before that said they would be open were not. We finally found a Starbucks open and it was full of runners!!

We made our way down to the start.
IMG_4951
We had a few minutes to hang in the corral and we were off. Dan had planned to stay with me for the first 4 miles. He figured he would see how we were both feeling. I think we started off a little too fast but there is always that fine line with starting too fast and hoping not to blow up or starting fast enough that you are still going to go faster than your last race. If that makes any sense at all!! 🙂

(of course in Dan’s mind he wanted me to run a sub 2–I did not think there was anyway that was going to happen. I didn’t want to be negative but I wasn’t sure if I really had it in me. I would have to average 9:09s) You never know though. There is always that race magic!!

We start. We had read a race preview by the RunWestin guy. It made the course sound hilly but not bad. That was not the case. The course was hard. It was hilly and much hiller than I thought it would be. I do like hills especially the recovery aspect!!

The whole race flew by. We were definitely running comfortable hard. I had zero idea what pace we were running. At about mile 5 I wasn’t sure what would happen at 10 let alone 13. We just kept running. I did notice a lot of the same people who were around us in the corral (2:00 corral) were running with us for the duration of the race. That made me feel good. I felt like we had to be on track. 🙂

The course is gorgeous. The water, the buildings. We ran along the seawall for a while. It had a New Zealand feel. We headed into Stanley Park. The tall trees that are changing colors. At around mile 9 I told Dan that I wanted to try to keep up with him but it was time to put some music on.

It was getting hard. The course preview said the last hill was at mile 10. Got up and over it but that definitely wasn’t the last hill there were 2 more after. Dan had run a little ahead of me. I was trying to hold on as best as I could.

It was only getting tougher. At mile 11 I thought I better PR or this whole race will be a waste. At mile 12 I thought OMG this is never going to end. At about mile 12.5ish we could hear the finish line. When my watch beeped at mile 13 I was dying to look but I had enough self-control(surprisingly enough) not to look. The finish line was still not in sight. I had given it my all. I was definitely cooked. I finally saw the finish line and tried to speed up. It was so hard but it was almost done. Dan was standing there waiting for me(he finished 13 seconds before me)I couldn’t have been happier. I looked at my watch. 2:03:20. Dan said the look on my face was priceless. I was so pumped!!
IMG_4952
It was so worth it not to look at my watch throughout the race. It made it that much more fun at the end!!

Dan wanted to hit up the beer garden and we received our world rocker medals.
IMG_4957

We celebrated with donuts!! Cartems Donuterie was voted one of the BEST in Vancouver!! They were delicious!! I am not even a huge donut person.
IMG_4955
IMG_4956

We spent most of the afternoon at walking around Granville Island and the public market. Super cute area!!
IMG_4961
This was a mural done by OSGEMEOS. It is a pretty cool story.
IMG_4963
We were exhausted and took an Aquabus across False Creek.
IMG_4968
IMG_4969

Monday: We had an amazing breakfast and coffee at Medina Cafe. It was right down the street from our AirBnB. We walked passed it multiple times all weekend. We had decided we would wait until Monday to go. I couldn’t wait!!

I forgot my phone so no pictures. We had waffles and avocado/egg toast. I had a milk chocolate lavender mocha too! Amazing!!!

Vancouver BC! What an amazing place. We had a super fun trip. The race PR was the cherry on top!

21 Responses to “RNR Vancouver Race Weekend + RE-cap”

1. MoM October 29, 2015 at 10:44 PM #

It sounds AMAZING! And you are amazing ❤️

2. Kecia October 30, 2015 at 4:41 AM #

Congratulations on a stellar PR!! You are a rockstar!! Vancouver looks like an amazing place to visit…so beautiful!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM #

Thanks Kecia!! It was so fun!! Perfect weekend!!! It has been fun to just “focus” on running the last couple of months!!

3. racingoprah October 30, 2015 at 7:26 AM #

Great race! You must feel great about crushing your A goal – you should! I totally get what you mean about starting too slow. You don’t want to start too far in the hole, time-wise. All that in a hilly race: you are my hill-spiration!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 1, 2015 at 4:44 PM #

Thanks!! It is scary starting out fast and slow you never know!!! I think that it also helps to do a 14 or 15 mile training run(s) to prep for that. I have 2 more halfs coming up and they are flat but I might keep training on the hills. Just for fun!! 😉

4. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete October 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM #

Woo!!! Congrats on the PR! I love and miss Vancouver so much! Such a lovely city. Glad you guys enjoyed the race and the visit there 🙂

5. bayrunnerjamie October 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM #

Yay congratulations on your PR!!! I have so much race envy right now, Vancouver is one of my bucket list race cities! What a stunning city, I’m glad you had such an amazing trip and run! 😀

6. Kimberly@ Healthy Strides October 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM #

Yeah yah! Congrats on that PR. I’m mad impressed that you didn’t look at your watch the whole time.

7. Luv What You Do November 1, 2015 at 7:48 PM #

Looks like such an awesome race and a cool city. I’ve never been!
    Congrats on your PR! That is awesome!!!

8. Kristen November 2, 2015 at 9:01 AM #

YAY!!! Congrats on your PR! It sounds like the course was beautiful and it was the perfect day for a race. Glad to hear it all came together for you and you were able to accomplish your goals. I have never been to Vancouver, but really want to run there someday. Nothing like going into the next season with a PR under your belt. 🙂

9. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life November 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM #

Congrats on the PR Leslie! Way to go and I am impressed that you have the self discipline to not check your Garmin the entire race. I don’t know if I could do that. It sounds like you guys had a fun weekend of racing and being tourists. What a great combination!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 8, 2015 at 10:18 PM #

Thanks Lee!!!! It really wasn’t that hard to not check my watch. Until the end. I really just wanted to make sure that I was doing good!! 🙂

10. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com November 11, 2015 at 5:39 AM #

Way to crush it! That’s some will power not to look at your watch! But it proves you don’t need it. I could go for one of those donuts with my coffee right now- yum!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM #

Thanks!!! For me I’m not a big watch watcher. I typically only like to look at my splits. So it wasn’t a huge deal!! 🙂 The donuts were amazing!! I wish I had one right now too!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. RNR AZ 1/2 marathon report | Triathlete Treats - January 31, 2016

[…] I ran a 2:03 in Vancouver, I thought wow could I take another 3 minutes off in 2.5 […]