116x50s

10 Jan

I did the unthinkable on Saturday. My swim group on Saturday always does 100+the year(16) in 50s the first practice of the year. (this year it was the 2nd Saturday)

I had pretty much decided that I was not going to do it but last weekend I talked to my lanemates and they talked me into it.

So the work-out was:
IMG_5159

We quickly got into our lanes and figured out a plan. I was swimming with John, Tim, Kathryn, and Erica.

We took a before picture:

IMG_5164

We practiced last week with a pace line. We led one 50 and then went to the back of the line. So we lead every 5th 50!!

I started us off. I did no warm up because I knew we were swimming 5800 yards. I didn’t really want to do any more than that!! I quickly thought there was no way I was going to be able to get through the entire work out. It was mentally tough from the beginning.

12440682_10153789552312660_8129108688057963434_o

After about a 1000 I finally felt like I was warmed up. I got into a pretty good groove. We were all working together and pumping each other up.

Tim announced that we were half way done. I wasn’t looking at my watch because I didn’t want to know. But I thought half way  I can probably pull this off!! Feeling good.

I was starting to feel tired and wanting to be done!! I checked my watch and it was 10:03. (we had 28 50s to go). It was getting tough. I was dreading every time I led and trying to draft as much as possible. I wasn’t quite sure what to do about nutrition but I had put some Nuun Plus in my bottle and hoped that would be good enough. The guys had brought some nutrition but there just wasn’t time to get anything down. Next year I will bring 2 bottles.

We all survived and really rocked it!! The 116 minutes went by super fast. It was actually really fun. I wouldn’t want to do it again for a real long time but definitely next year.

The survivors:

10417626_10207092467702187_3986981142761362310_n

That is the longest I have EVER swam!! CRAZY!! My shoulders and back are pretty sore today but well worth it!

Other highlights of the weekend:

Who watches Last Comic Standing? John Heffron was in town this weekend. He was the winner of Season 2 and he is hysterical!!!  Definitely worth going to the 10pm show even with a big swim the next morning.

This was one of our favorite bits. This is just an audio of it and its even funnier if you can see him “acting” it out. (I searched for a while and couldn’t find a clip)

IMG_5160

This morning our triathlon store: Athlete’s Lounge put on a pancake run.  We set off for a nice Sunday run. The sun was out and it wasn’t super cold. A pretty good group showed up.

image

We did 7.15 miles and pancakes afterwards. Super fun!!

How was your weekend? Do you watch Last Comic Standing??

15 Responses to “116x50s”

1. MoM January 10, 2016 at 10:29 PM #

I love the new glasses, Mr. And Mrs. Pancake!

2. Kecia January 11, 2016 at 5:02 AM #

116×50…YOU ROCK! I am super impressed!! What a great way to start the year!!
    I don’t watch last comic standing, but have heard it is quite funny! I’m glad you go to venture out and run outdoors…shorts?!?!?! I don’t think we’ll be seeing those outdoors for quite a while! The feel like temperature yesterday was a low of -30F and a high of -12F…hot yoga called and I listened 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 19, 2016 at 9:24 PM #

Thanks Kecia! It was a fun and challenging to say the least!!
      OMG that is so cold!!! I hope you are getting in lots of hot yoga with that crazy weather!!

• Kecia January 20, 2016 at 2:34 AM #

Hot yoga and riding my bike (where I don’t have to go outdoors) have been the focus this month. We have been doing another bike block due to the weather. 😁☃

3. Kim @ Swimmykimy January 11, 2016 at 5:06 PM #

Awesome work! My swim club does 100×100’s as a fundraiser to ring in the new year and I participated this year, it was super fun! I only did 50 because I didn’t want my shoulders to bother me, as I knew they would if I attempted all 10k yards. I love starting the year with fun athletic challenges! Congrats to you 🙂 Did you ever get to doing 10×100’s consistently? It is a great set!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 19, 2016 at 9:23 PM #

There is another group that does that 100×100 at the beginning of the year. I can’t imagine. What I did was hard enough!! 🙂
      I forgot about the 10x100s!! that is so funny that you remembered!!! So that is a no!! 😦

4. Heather January 13, 2016 at 5:15 AM #

While I’m not well versed in swimming, I know that’s a tough workout! Way to freakin go. Here’s to next year 😉 I love that your running store puts on a pancake run. I’d obviously be totally down for that! Happy to get an update from you!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 19, 2016 at 9:20 PM #

Thanks Heather!! It is kind of like running for 2 hours. Just different!! 🙂 Oh yea you would love the pancake run!!!

5. racingoprah January 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM #

That’s a LOT of swimming! I really dislike swimming so I’m super impressed that you can swim long distances like that. It looks like you guys had a fun group and a fun challenge!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 19, 2016 at 9:18 PM #

It was crazy!! But fun!! It wouldn’t have been as good if I hadn’t been with such a great group!! 🙂

6. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life January 13, 2016 at 7:24 PM #

Leslie….way to go with that swim! Super impressive! What a way to kick off the new year! The pancake run sounds super fun! Gteat idea!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 19, 2016 at 9:16 PM #

Thanks Lee!! It was mentally tough but it was fun. The time flew by if that is even possible!! 🙂

7. The Padre January 14, 2016 at 8:41 AM #

Gr8 Photos From The Pool Deck. Stay Strong

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Swimming Lately + Todays 50s | Triathlete Treats - January 21, 2017

[…] was our annual 117(100+the year) x 50s on the 1 minute.  Last year was my first year. I really felt amazing today.  I had a great swim.  Not once did I think I wish […]