RNR AZ 1/2 marathon report

31 Jan

The plan about 6 months ago was to FINALLY run a sub-2 in AZ. Was that a realistic goal? I had no idea.

After I ran a 2:03 in Vancouver, I thought wow could I take another 3 minutes off in 2.5 months?

Then I ran the Holiday Half in December. (I never did a race report. Shocker I know) I ran with some friends and went out way too fast (but faded at the end) but I didn’t really have a plan. I did have fun. It was flatter than Vancouver and I thought what the hell! I took another minute off my PR.

I only had 5 weeks between races. I missed a track work out (thanks to the wind in Vegas at Christmas). My last long run was in the snow and slower/shorter than I wanted it to be. My final mile repeats were not as fast as I wanted nor as fast as the ones before Vancouver.

The new plan was the run with the 2:00 pace group and see how long I could hold on. Β I wanted to run a “smarter” race.

We arrived in Phoenix early Friday morning. The weather was great. We hit up the expo. I have a couple of Momentum bracelets. They were at the expo so I got a few more.
IMG_5182.JPG
We signed up for next year and I took way too much time trying to decide what I wanted on my bib. I settled on Mrs. Pancake!

Always fun in Phoenix seeing friends and eating at my favorite restaurants!!

Race day: Pre-Race:
IMG_5191
There was a 2:00 pace group at the front of our corral and a 2:00 pace group in front of the next corral.

We were too far away from the first pace group so I said F it I still don’t have a plan. My NEW goal will to be don’t let the 2:00 pace group from the other corral pass me! πŸ˜‰

Dan only ran with me for about a mile. I had no music. The first 2 miles clicked by and didn’t look at my splits. I checked my 3rd/4th mile splits. It wasn’t good. They were like 9:30/9:25. I was on a slight incline. I knew my PR splits were 9:20s. I didn’t think there was anyway I would sub 2. I wasn’t even thinking I would be able to PR. I wasn’t being negative but more realistic.

What I did know was after the big hill at mile 9ish, it was mostly downhill, slight decline, to flat. Maybe there was hope. I caught up to Dan at about 9.5. I couldn’t believe it!!! He didn’t look too hot and said he was out of steam. I said I was still feeling relatively good. (I was working hard…still not really knowing how I was doing). Still positive and really mentally strong. I was having a good race. I just had to keep it going. I told him I was going to keep pushing.

I thought could I actually beat him. I was planning my Facebook post for my victory. At about 11.5/12 he caught back up to me and stayed right in front of me for the rest of the race. I was pushing and it was definitely a negative split. I felt good and had an awesome race whatever the outcome was!!

Well I PR’d by 20 seconds!! (and that 2:00 pace group never passed me)

Post race:
IMG_5193IMG_5194
Not a sub 2 but I was leaving AZ with a PR!! The sub 2 dream will have to wait until after IM Wisconsin. Maybe I should have put sub 2 or bust on next years bib! πŸ˜‰

24 Responses to “RNR AZ 1/2 marathon report”

1. Kecia January 31, 2016 at 1:08 PM #

Congratulations on a PR!! Keep working hard and that sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon will be yours!! Do you have an early spring 1/2 marathon near by that you could try for again? We have a 1/2 marathon in late April here in central Iowa. It is always a good test before our 70.3 race in June to see where our running fitness is.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 31, 2016 at 7:23 PM #

Thanks!! I do have a 1/2 in May but my coach wants me to use it as a “training” run rather than a race!! If anything it will be interesting to see where my speed is at that point!! πŸ™‚

• Kecia February 1, 2016 at 2:23 AM #

Maybe your speed will be fast enough you’ll get that PR after all πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 1, 2016 at 8:13 PM #

Definitely!! Time will tell! πŸ˜‰

2. bayrunnerjamie January 31, 2016 at 6:22 PM #

Waaaah if I wasn’t injured, I would have ran this too! Congrats on your PR!! You are so close to a sub 2, it’s DEFINITELY coming soon! πŸ˜€ You and I run pretty much the same pace…Do you typically slow or stop for water or anything? When I finally broke 2 hours, I was able to shave a few minutes off by carrying my own water and running through aid stations. Just a thought, it worked for me! Glad you enjoyed your visit to AZ!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 31, 2016 at 7:20 PM #

I go through the aid stations quick so I use them as a “break” but a very quick break!! πŸ™‚ I will definitely get there!!

3. JP February 1, 2016 at 2:26 AM #

Congrats on the race!

4. Heather February 1, 2016 at 9:13 AM #

OH OH I love that “make it happen” bracelet! Congrats on the PR! You’ll hit that sub 2 girl! I love that you and Dan can play off of each other in a race- so motivating πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 1, 2016 at 8:12 PM #

One day I will beat him too!! πŸ™‚ After the race Dan said I’m not sure that I will be able to beat you at the next race!! We will see. He always says that though!!

• Heather February 3, 2016 at 2:01 AM #

Oh you’ll beat him. It’s only a matter of time!

5. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete February 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM #

Way to go on the shiny, new PR! It sounds like you did a really good job of keeping the mental game in check in order to finish strong! It also sounds like you guys had a great time in AZ.

6. Luv What You Do February 1, 2016 at 7:16 PM #

Looks like a blast! Love those bracelets!!!

7. Kristen February 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM #

A PR is a PR!!! Awesome job out there, lady. I have a feeling you will hit the sub-2s within the next year or two — after your Ironman, of course! πŸ™‚

8. racingoprah February 2, 2016 at 8:15 PM #

Congrats on the PR! Sounds like you ran a really smart race. I’m confident you have a sub-2 in you soon!

9. Olivia S February 5, 2016 at 8:42 AM #

Whoo-hoo for a PR!! Great job!!

10. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life February 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM #

Way to PR Leslie! I know all too well about wanting to get that sub 2 for a half in a race! I am right there with ya!!! It is neat how you can personalize your bib with fun stuff!