Shamrock 2016

22 Mar

I ran my 9th Shamrock…(8th 15k) last Sunday.  It was a rainy one this year….to say the least!!

Let me first tell you a little bit about my calf “problem.”  I thought it was a fluke. I wasn’t doing anything stupid. I wasn’t running faster than I should have been. I wasn’t running more or over training. If anything I am training less now that I have a coach telling me what to do!

It was sore. I rested. It was better. I started running again. It was sore again. I debated bagging Shamrock. I really wanted to do it but I didn’t want to compromise my calf anymore. The weather was supposed to be shitty!! Like way more shitty than usual. Rainy, windy, no fun!!! But it wouldn’t be the Shamrock run if it wasn’t at least a little rainy.

I didn’t want to go out there and have a crap race, in crap weather, and hinder my run training anymore. I was almost praying that it would be shitty when we woke up Sunday morning and I would have an excuse to say lets just sleep in, instead.

Well it wasn’t even raining when we woke up Sunday morning. We got up. I iced my calf, put some KT tape on it, ate breakfast, and got dressed. We rode our bikes down there with just enough time to walk to the start.

IMG_5308

Dan hasn’t been training too much, so we ran together, took it easy the first couple of miles. There was a huge puddle taking up the entire street we all had to get around about 1/2 mile after the start. (guessing we lost ~15 seconds) It is so funny how people try to avoid puddles. Yes this one was huge and non-avoidable. I get it I don’t want my shoes to be wet either but its raining and suppose to get more rainy and wet as the race goes on!!

My calf was ok. I could feel it a bit but not bad. We started cruising up Broadway at a pretty comfortable pace. (which I think is usually about where I am at but because I am running a little faster these days it was better than years past). 🙂 It was raining pretty good and it was cold. That probably helped my calf.

I lost Dan for a bit. I didn’t really take off but he wasn’t next to me all of a sudden. I hit an aid station and he caught up. We ran together for a short while and that was the last I saw of him.

I really felt pretty good. For not training much on hills, having a solid week of training, the pouring down rain, and this minor calf problem. I was feeling pretty good.

I was at 1:01 at the top of Terwilliger which is the end of the hills. If I remember correctly the last couple of years I have been at about :59 minutes at that point.

I knew it wouldn’t be a PR but I thought we will see how it goes. The downhill was fast. My calf actually felt really good and I was cruising fast!!! It was pouring but still fun!  I didn’t look at my watch until the finish and what do you know I PR’d by 5 seconds!

IMG_5309.JPG
It was fun as always. One of these years I will break 1:30. Maybe next year!
IMG_5313

Anyone else do a Shamrock run?

13 Responses to “Shamrock 2016”

1. MoM March 22, 2016 at 11:17 PM #

👍

2. Kecia March 23, 2016 at 5:42 AM #

Congratulations on a PR!! When it is unexpected, it is so awesome!! I’m glad your calf felt good during the race. How does it feel now? Have you gone to get it checked out yet?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 24, 2016 at 8:47 PM #

Thanks Kecia!! love unexpected PR’s!! They are almost better than ones that you work so hard for!!
      The calf is definitely better. I had a massage on Monday and done a few easy runs…so just hoping it stays better!! 🙂

3. erin March 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM #

Whoop! Congrats on the (unexpected) PR! Hope your calf is feeling better!

4. Luv What You Do March 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM #

It’s so fun to have an annual race! Bummer about the rain! I think I’ve told you before, they moved the Chicago Shamrock race to April because of the weather!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 24, 2016 at 8:39 PM #

Yes!! I love the Shamrock!! I don’t usually mind the rain..its the wind that is awful!! 🙂

5. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life March 24, 2016 at 7:11 PM #

Way to go Leslie!!!!! Hope your calf is still doing well post race.

6. Heather March 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM #

PRs are the best… even if they are only seconds. You’ll break that 1:30 girl! I know it 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 24, 2016 at 8:37 PM #

I’m so close. but this is the only 15K I ever do! If i could find a flat one I know I would break 1:30!! I beat Dan though…finally!! 😉

• Heather March 27, 2016 at 5:13 AM #

You need to come down to FL and do Gasparilla 15k… SUPER flat! Way to show Dan who’s boss 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM #

I know i’ve been wanting to do that one for a while…maybe we will come down there for a visit!!! 🙂