Outdoor Riding!

3 Apr

Well I’ve had 3 or 4 outdoor rides on the schedule already. All of them I’ve opted to stay inside. It’s just easier. There are no lights. No stop signs. No strollers, kids or dogs getting in the way! I can get on the trainer and ride my time and get off!

Yesterday was the big day! I was going to ride outside! My trainer partner was out of town. I asked other friends. Nobody could ride. I was going solo!!

I went to swim at 9 and my bike was still on the trainer!! I got home at 11:15. I had to eat a second breakfast, knew I had to change the trainer tire, change the battery in my power tap, put the wheel back on….and anyone with a Cervelo knows getting the rear tire is not exactly easy!!

Dan had to go the burbs so he was going to drop me at Athletes Lounge so I could start at an easier location to start the ride.

IMG_5353

I was off. First ride of the year. First solo ride in a long time. The ride was 2 hours and 40 minutes. I wasn’t even sure if I could do the ride in that time. I thought the ride out to the climb was longer and the climb itself (that I was riding 2x) was longer too. Maybe I could ride it in 2:40?!

The ride out was on dirty (hwy) 30. It was good. Flew by pretty seamlessly except for the gravel everywhere!!

I got to Rocky Point (the climb). The ride was really going to begin. It’s hard but good. 3.25 miles about 1200 ft gain!! I was loving the shady spots on the way up but loving the sunny spots on the way down. The way down wasn’t as fun as some other climbs. It’s pretty technical but I got down it pretty fast!!

IMG_5355

I went up it a second time and felt way better. It was almost more fun the second time. I passed a different gal on both trips up. That gave me a bit of motivation to go faster when I saw them and made the pass. I was sure I was faster the second time but I was about a minute slower and averaged about 5 watts less!!

IMG_5356.JPG

Just like that I was heading home!! I got back in the same time it took me to get there. (plus I had 2 more intervals to do) Right at 2:40! I stopped my watch and bob and weaved through 5 miles of kids, dogs, and strollers that occupy the waterfront on a sunny day!

Great ride and more confidence to ride again solo!! Just got my schedule for this week and I get to ride this routine again next week with longer intervals after!

Do you prefer to be outside? or on the trainer?

12 Responses to “Outdoor Riding!”

1. Kecia April 4, 2016 at 5:34 AM #

Yay for outdoor riding with hills and confidence!! This time of year, I’m antsy to get outside and ride after being cooped up on the trainer all winter, but I really do like riding on the trainer. There is no traffic to worry about, no street lights to wait for and I get to control my environment better. Even during the summer months, we typically ride on the trainer at least twice a week for convenience and safety during evening commute times.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 4, 2016 at 9:26 PM #

I hate to drive to ride…Its just that much more time to get there and get home…and blah blah!!! 🙂 It was definitely nice to be out in the fresh air though!!

2. Kristen April 4, 2016 at 6:24 PM #

I’ve been riding outside too! I am LOVING this gorgeous weather we have been having. Crossing my fingers that April is sunny and warm. I much prefer riding outside, however I am not a fan of riding in the cold. Sometimes I get a little nervous riding right after the winter months because of the rocks and cinders on the road. Summer is nice because they have all been swept away by then. Glad you are getting in some outdoor riding in Portland. I have YET to ride in your neck of the woods (I would probably get lost). 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 4, 2016 at 9:20 PM #

YAY!! Yes once all the gravel is gone it is much better!!! 🙂 We have good riding here but you have great riding in Bend!!!

3. erin April 9, 2016 at 7:46 AM #

So envious that you’re riding outside! I haven’t been out on the roads since October?! And, I likely won’t get out until at least next weekend since it’s 28F here right now. Yuck. Anyway, glad you’re feeling more confident on the bike… can’t wait to see you rock the climbing at IMWI in September!

4. Brittany April 9, 2016 at 7:40 PM #

Yay! I also prefer the trainer lately (so much easier and faster!!) but I feel so alive when I do get outdoors to ride. Sounds like some great climbing, I’m envious!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 20, 2016 at 9:04 PM #

I’m sure with Nathan being able to do a ride is easier on the trainer!! You should get a bike trailer!! 😉

5. Heather April 13, 2016 at 6:57 PM #

Congrats on the great ride! In running terms, I prefer both… lame answer, I know. The treadmill is definitely easier in the dead of summer!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 20, 2016 at 9:03 PM #

Any indoor training I feel like is good mental training!! Its good to have a mix!! Its hard work!! 🙂

6. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life April 14, 2016 at 10:29 AM #

YAY for outdoor riding! I prefer to be outdoors, but love the trainer too for its versatility. We have had some outdoor rides, but our weather has been a roller coaster, so only one or two where the weather was great. This weekend is supposed to be nice (hoping not too windy) and we have 55 miles on the plan. Hope this weekend ends up being another one on the road for you!

Also, way to go on the hill climbing and getting through it solo. Great job!!

7. FitnessFatale April 15, 2016 at 6:56 AM #

They both have their place! I love outdoor riding when its nice weather and when the roads aren’t super busy and I have a lot of time. But when time crunched and I want to get in a specific workout, the trainer is where it’s at.