Coeur d’Alene 70.3 Race Recap

5 Jul

Dan and I flew to CDA Friday night, and got in much later than we were supposed to.  We got to bed ASAP and just like that it was Saturday morning!

Stephanie, Laura, and I went for a quick spin on the bottom loop of the course.
IMG_5520
Just to get our legs moving. It was crisp! We had a nice little ride and then I came back and did a transition run. I ran down by the kids race, which is always super cute!

IMG_5524

We walked our bikes down to transition, got checked in, got our bikes checked in, and took a pre-race photo.

Dan and I went to lunch at Calypsos, a super cute coffee shop that is right downtown. I had remembered it from 2010 when I was there for training/IMCDA ’10.
IMG_5538
Look at how cool the clouds looked. I would have died for that cloud cover on race day!

RACE DAY! Typically race morning, up too early, in transition to early, wait around, and wait around, then 6:15 it was all of a sudden: GO TIME!

IMG_5547

Quick pic and quick warm up. The announcer said it was 62 degrees. I do believe that was bull shit. It felt more like 57 or 58. It was definitely colder than anything we had swam in this year.

SWIM: 34:08 1:46/m
The swim was a rolling start. I had never done a rolling start before. I really liked it. It was very civil. No shoving and pushing. I got in the water, started to swim not a whole lot of contact. I swam pretty straight. I did a little drafting. I warmed up pretty quick. My goggles were a little wonky and that could have been a big problem but it didn’t seem to hurt me too much!

TI: 4:43
Now I am very fast in transition…typically but this transition was ridiculous. We ran I don’t even know how far to get to transition on the sidewalk with no mats no less and then all the way though transition. That was a good 2-2:30 minutes wasted!

BIKE: 3:02:56 18.37mph
The bike is pretty brutal. Lots of climbing. I felt pretty good. Rolling hills for the first 15 or so miles. Then the long climbs started. What goes up must come down. It was windy. Not awfully windy but enough to piss me off(that does not take much)! 🙂 Let me tell you going down these long descents (FAST) in aero, was SCARY!! I was pretty proud of myself. Finished the bike and was happy it was over.

T2: 3:11
Again, not as fast as I would have liked, same as T1, we dismounted our bikes, and ran along transition to other entrance(where we came in from the swim), to finally get into transition to run through it. Not ideal or even necessary!

RUN: 2:18:10 10:32/mile
Well it wasn’t the run I wanted to have. It started ok. I saw Dan and friends pretty early on. It was already hot and the crowds were great! I’m still not even sure what happened. I didn’t think that I had started too fast. I thought my nutrition on the bike was pretty right on. It just wasn’t my day. I saw friends all along the course which is always super fun. Erica past me at mile 5, totally rocking the run as usual!
IMG_5548

{Just trying to survive the run}

I “gave up” mentally too early on the run. I started to walk too early. I saw Darrell a little past mile 9 and he was already on his way back. We hugged and reminisced about IMCDA 2010! I felt like I still had forever to go!! It was never going to end!!

I got it done finally! 6:03:28 Dang! Not the sub 6 that I know what I am capable of!

Quick story: IMCDA 2010 I ate this giant ice cream cone the day before the race:
IMG_0812
I’ve always said I missed that sub 14 (by 2 minutes) due to this ice cream cone!

Well I ate this ice cream cone(a much smaller one) after the race this year. Maybe I should have eaten it before. Maybe it would have turned out different. Maybe not! 🙂
IMG_5540
I can say with full confidence that I will never race in Coeur d’Alene EVER.AGAIN!

13 Responses to “Coeur d’Alene 70.3 Race Recap”

1. Kecia July 6, 2016 at 1:15 PM #

Great race! I’ve never raced in CDA, but was there in 2012 volunteering, spectating, and training on the course. There are some big hills and the water was about 54F. It is such a beautiful race venue! Congratulations lady!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM #

Thanks!! It is really one of the most convenient places to race but I just can’t get a break!! 😉

2. MoM July 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM #

You always amaze me, you go girl!

3. Liz July 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM #

Love the recap! You rocked it!

4. Kristen July 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM #

It was so fun running into you. I wish I could have spent more time chatting. The village was pretty crazy that day due to the bad weather the day before – everyone stayed home! Haha. I thought the transitions were ridiculous. Running on the pavement out of the swim was horrible. My feet were partially numb and it was really awkward pounding on such a rough surface. My transition times were super crappy. Is that what it is like for the Ironman? That exact setup?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 15, 2016 at 7:49 PM #

So fun and random running into you! Its always tough the day before the race!! 🙂
      That transition was so not necessary! I heard that it was set up that way so everyone would “run” the same amount. Weird!! When I did the full in CDA, the transition was not like that at all!!! I hope they change it for the full!! 🙂

5. Luv What You Do July 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM #

Congrats! You accomplished so much!
    I have a similar ice cream pic after my first marathon…love ice cream and racing!

6. Jenny July 18, 2016 at 4:23 AM #

Hi Leslie! You look great and I miss you! Love seeing the pics of CDA!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 20, 2016 at 9:08 PM #

Jenny!!!! Thanks!! Miss you and I’m so sad that you have moved from Wisconsin or I could be seeing you in 8 weeks!!

7. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life July 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM #

I read your recap right after you posted it and I never left you a congratulations. Way to go Leslie!!! So….never again, huh? I still think you should come to NC to race;) I can totally relate to your run not being what you wanted, but you still powered through! Bummer about the transitions, because I know you usually rock those!!!! I LOVE your ice cream cone photo comparisons….that is the best!!!!! We can definitely hang out past race, because my treat tends to be a good milkshake!!!!

Hope you are doing well….I know training is keeping you super busy!!!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM #

Thanks Lee!! You know I find myself wishing that I was just doing the full in CDA!! I think if my run had gone good and I still would have missed the sub 6 I would have been ok with it. I felt like there was more expectations!! We are definitely going to come to Raleigh…probably just for a run but one of these days we will make it there!! You know we will have ice cream after the race! 🙂