Inside 35 DAYS!

7 Aug

WELL we are inside 35 days until Ironman Wisconsin. Training has been going really good so far.

Swimming: Swimming has been steady. Intervals are hard. I felt like I was getting faster in April/May and then something happened. I was tired and not making interval times. I was a little frustrated but kept trying. I was writing Chris, saying I was tired..the swim was rough..I was trying to rally. BUT whatever I was doing it was working.

I had an awesome 4000m swim at Hagg Lake. Always a fun event and a good marker.

My swim in CDA was really good too!! That is always a good marker too!

I’ve had a few good 3200M training swims at Hagg in the last couple of months!

IMG_5440

I’ve really stopped worrying about it! I go to the pool and swim my laps. Do my intervals. If I only have a few seconds rest, I only have a few seconds rest and chalk it up to all the one other hard work I’m doing.  I’m putting in the work and that is all I can do!

Biking:  This is the first year that I have really used my power meter.  I’ve been nailing my intervals.  I’ve had a few awesome rides with some friends.

Rode Larch Mountain with Nadia.

IMG_5611

I have not done this ride (all the way to the top) since I trained for IM Canada ’09. I tried to find my time from that day but couldn’t find it!! I record everything, I just have to look harder!! 🙂

IMG_5612

IMG_5613

I had a couple great rides with Darrell.  We ride really well together!!

IMG_5590

I had a SWEET ride to the coast yesterday!!  Portland Triathlon club does a ride to the coast every year. They have a 100, 65, and 40 mile option. There was 6 of us who finished the 100, 8 started but 2 ended up doing the 65.

IMG_5631

We all started together and when we started climbing we all kind of dispersed. I had intervals to do so I was ok riding by myself.  It kept me engaged and positive. I fueled. I rode smart. I felt amazing. Really pumped with how it went!!  I rode with Blake for a bit and did some chatting. He is training for CDA/his first IM!! I finished really strong!!

I’m pretty sure that is the fastest training century I have ever done! Bam! I had a knee problem before CDA and have been seeing a PT. She says my glutes (weren’t) firing. They now have finally joined the party. I’ve been doing my PT exercises 2x/day for the last 6 weeks. She says they are definitely firing now!! Bam!!

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5629

We saw some whales too! Super fun!

Running: Has been surprisingly great. It is always a work in progress as you know.  I’ve really been working hard. I run with some Oiselle gals on Wednesday. I can absolutely credit Liz, Nadia, and Krysta for making me run faster and getting me out of my comfort zone!  I’ve been doing my long runs in conjunction with those runs to make it extra hard! 🙂

Dan and I have had a couple runs together. Usually start together, but I always have to go longer!

IMG_5449

Needless to say training has been going good and I am contemplating another Ironman next year. I hate to say that with 5 weeks to go because anything can happen. But I’m positive and happy!

The Olympics might kill me!  I love them!!! BUT I am staying up way too late. Once swimming is over I should be ok!! Time will tell!!

Things I am looking forward to after September 11th: Running with music again, more yoga, cooking different stuff then the same ol’ every single week, and not drinking Gatorade/Skratch almost every single day!

19 Responses to “Inside 35 DAYS!”

1. MoM August 8, 2016 at 12:13 AM #

Are you kidding me, I’m not sure I’m up to another spectator event in 2017, I’m going to have to get in shape 😍

2. Liz August 8, 2016 at 8:39 AM #

Loved reading about your training! The Olympics are killing me too- I am totally sleep deprived! See ya Wednesday:)

3. Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete August 8, 2016 at 11:31 AM #

Sounds like your training is going super well!! You must be getting so excited 🙂 And yes, I agree about the Olympics! It’s just too exciting to not watch!

4. Kecia August 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM #

You have had some AWESOME training! I’m glad it is all going well for you! I can’t wait to meet you in person in just under 5 weeks! You are going to crush IMWI! When are you arriving in Madison? We need to exchange #s so we can meet up! We will be arriving on Thursday. What IM are you considering for 2017? We are looking at Vineman for 2017, but haven’t finalized anything yet.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 9, 2016 at 7:38 PM #

Yes!! Can’t wait to meet up!! We are arriving early Friday morning and leaving Monday night. Well the plan was to do Copenhagen….but I don’t really want to sign up for another one until after Wisconsin (and it will be sold out by then). I’m thinking about Arizona or Beach to Battleship.
      I have lots of friends that have done Vineman…I would love to do that one if it was in May…its just too hot in July!!!

• Kecia August 10, 2016 at 5:26 AM #

Yay! Can’t wait! I know July can be hot! With my teacher’s schedule, and not being able to take vacation whenever I want, we are limited on the races we can do 😞 I really want to do Boulder again, but it has moved to June, which is right after I get out of school. Oh…3rd world problems 😂

5. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life August 8, 2016 at 7:17 PM #

So happy that your training is going well and you are also feeling great!!! That is exciting! I have taken the same approach as you with the swim. Don’t worry about it too much, just do my thing and keep plugging away! Getting in such an awesome century bike ride is huge for your confidence! YAY!!! So glad your running is strong and your glutes are now firing!! I hope I can get mine to do the same:) I too love the Olympics….it iIS brutal to getting to bed at a decent time! So exciting though!!!

I know you will keep us all posted on the IM decision for next year! You are one tough cookie!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 9, 2016 at 7:29 PM #

Thanks Lee!!! My ride last weekend was a huge confidence boost!!
      I’m definitely staying up way too late watching the Olympics!!

6. Luv What You Do August 8, 2016 at 7:24 PM #

I can’t believe that September is right around the corner. Your training pics are gorgeous! Enjoy this last push and I can’t wait to read all about the race. I definitely need to get up to Madison to cheer on the racers soon!

7. Kristen L August 9, 2016 at 9:43 AM #

Excited for you. Sounds like things are going great. BTW — totally considering an IM next year. I’m doing Best in the West Olympic distance tri in a few weeks. Then considering just keeping things going until next summer. What IM do you think you’ll want to do next year?! Can’t wait to see how it goes for you in less than 35 days!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 9, 2016 at 6:53 PM #

Yes!!! an Ironman next year…that would be awesome!!!The plan was to do Copenhagen, but if i decide not to go international. I’m thinking AZ or Beach to Battleship. Which ones are you contemplating?! Good luck at Best In The West!! That is a fun one!!!

• Kristen L August 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM #

Considering IM Canada! It’s good timing for mid-summer.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 15, 2016 at 8:47 PM #

Awesome!!! Its a good one!! Tough!! But they all are!! 😉

8. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com August 16, 2016 at 8:45 AM #

The best part of this post was that you’re feeling positive and happy! Even if your training is going well, if you aren’t mentally ready, it does no good (for me at least). Love all the pictures! I know what you mean about running with other people to push you- it absolutely helps!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 29, 2016 at 9:15 PM #

Yes!!! I am definitely more mentally ready then I was for CDA!!!
      I have a hard time running really really fast when I am not with the girls!! I tried a couple weeks ago and it didn’t work!! 😦

9. Sandra Laflamme August 28, 2016 at 6:51 PM #

What a beautiful place you have to train! I am loving reading about people’s ironman journey. I just completed my second 70.3 and am hooked! Good luck with the rest of your training!!!