Swimming Lately + Todays 50s

21 Jan

Well I have been feeling really good in the water lately.  I’ve already had a gain in my threshold since starting with my new coach.  I’m pretty excited.  We do one threshold work out a week. Let me tell you that it is the only work out I dread all week.  It is super hard.    The main set is 1800-2000 yards.  It is typically broken up in 300s/200s. Sometimes 400s/100s.  But after everyone of those works out I have left the pool in a better mood.  More and more excited about this year.

I have also started an 8 week swim clinic.  I haven’t actually started it yet because it started last week when we were out of town.  So tomorrow will be my first practice.

I signed up because I really want to improve my swim stroke/kick.  Molly did send us a work out with a lot of the exercises they did at the last practice so we could swim on our own.  I did it once in addition to my regular swimming.  We will see.  It couldn’t hurt to try and improve in the early season.

Today was our annual 117(100+the year) x 50s on the 1 minute.  Last year was my first year. I really felt amazing today.  I had a great swim.  Not once did I think I wish I wasn’t doing this or mentally having a hard time.  I learned a lot last year to be able to exceed my expectations this year.  To think I was secretly wishing they had done this work out at last weeks practice, when I was out of town, so I wouldn’t have to do it. 🙂

16115005_10210158247304761_648112131669301600_n

Todays practice by the numbers:

117 x 50s

234 lengths

5850 yards//3.32 miles

Led every 4th 50//led 64 lengths (this is approximate because I did a few extras)

Drafted 170 lengths

Drank 2 bottles of Skratch: about 1/2 bottle every 30 minutes.

Here is to swimming a shit-ton and seeing what happens this summer!! Any one do any crazy swims for the new year?

10 Responses to “Swimming Lately + Todays 50s”

1. Joann January 22, 2017 at 8:03 AM #

You rock!!! Keep up the good work! You are gonna kill it this year!! Who is the new coach!? I wanna know all about it!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 24, 2017 at 9:05 PM #

Thanks Joann!! I’m pretty excited for the year!! My new coach is from Chicago. She is awesome. 🙂

2. Kecia January 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM #

I’m super pumped you are seeing gains in your threshold! 117×50 on the minute is an awesome (yet scary to me) challenge! You rock! I haven’t done a swim challenge yet in 2017, but did finish 2016 with our Coeur century swim (100x100s) which I completed in 3 swims. I didn’t want to risk a rotator cuff injury since I didn’t have my swim mileage up high enough to try it all at once…better to play it safe starting the new year than injured 😉 I’m so excited for you! 2017 is going to be an amazing year! It will be fun to follow your journey!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 24, 2017 at 9:08 PM #

Thanks Kecia! 50s are one thing. I can’t imagine doing 100x100s!! Way to get it done in 3 swims. That sounds so much more doable!! 🙂

3. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life January 28, 2017 at 5:54 AM #

Way to start the new year off strong! New threshold, swim clinic and an amazing 117×100 workout. You are killing it!

No crazy beginning of the year swims for me. Just working on stroke and hoping to see some gains for myself as well.

Keep up the strong work!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM #

Thanks Lee! Hoping to kill it!!
      Keep up the stroke work and you will see gains for sure!! 🙂

4. Heather January 31, 2017 at 8:52 AM #

Awesome! Did you see the mom with MS (I think it was that) that swam a million miles last year?!